Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Darryl Pogue <da...@dpogue.ca> on 2019/09/26 04:31:22 UTC

Making the most of Hacktoberfest contributions

Hi folks,

The annual "Hacktoberfest" open-source participation event from GitHub
and Digital Ocean is back and coming up soon. For those who aren't
familiar, people who register and then open 4 pull requests against
open-source repositories can get rewarded with T-shirts and stickers.

This is a great opportunity to get drive-by contributions to Cordova,
ideally for things that don't require deep knowledge of our packages.

Some ideas:
- Migrating tooling repos from TravisCI and Appveyor to GitHub Actions
- Upgrading to latest eslint and fixing linting errors
- Ensuring all our repos are testing against the right versions of nodeJS
- Migrating from Q promises to native promises
- Documentation updates
- Migrating small pieces of code from ES5-syntax to ES6-syntax

The best way to attract these contributions is to create GitHub issues
that clearly explain the intended change and the scope of the change,
that are labelled with a Hacktoberfest label.

If nobody objects (or beats me to it) I will try to spend a few hours
next week creating some of these issues in our repos. I'm most
familiar with the tooling and platform packages, so maybe someone more
familiar with plugins could take a pass over those repos for similar
easy contribution opportunities.

Thanks,
~Darryl