Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by William Jaynes <wj...@mediaone.net> on 2000/12/06 16:17:03 UTC

bean.WriteTag suggestion

I notice that bean.WriteTag will output nothing if getting the property of the
specified bean returns null. If getting the bean itself returns a null, however,
an exception is thrown. I'd like to suggest that it would be more consistent if
either case causes output to be nothing.

Will

Re: bean.WriteTag suggestion

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
William Jaynes wrote:

> I notice that bean.WriteTag will output nothing if getting the property of the
> specified bean returns null. If getting the bean itself returns a null, however,
> an exception is thrown. I'd like to suggest that it would be more consistent if
> either case causes output to be nothing.

I can see the consistency argument here.  I can also see a consistency argument with
the way that missing beans are handled in all of the other tags in the library.

Therefore, I'm adding a new "ignore" attribute to <bean:write> that lets you select
the "just output nothing" behavior if you want it.  The default will still be to
throw an exception

> Will

Craig