Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by "Feng Zhou (fezhou2)" <fe...@cisco.com> on 2015/07/16 21:42:04 UTC

Can some one share some insight on this error (Request in flight threshold is Zero) ?

Hello all,

     My name is Feng,  I work for Cisco.  Nice to be a new member of the stratos dev mailing list!

     Want to get some suggestion on a repeated error message we are seeing in stratos logs,   the log look like this:

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-06-25 09:48:08,424] ERROR {org.apache.stratos.autoscaler.rule.RuleTasksDelegator} -  Request in flight threshold is Zero
TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-06-25 09:49:08,424] ERROR {org.apache.stratos.autoscaler.rule.RuleTasksDelegator} -  Request in flight threshold is Zero
TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-06-25 09:50:08,424] ERROR {org.apache.stratos.autoscaler.rule.RuleTasksDelegator} -  Request in flight threshold is Zero

It comes up quite often,   and from what we observe it seems not do much harm…   so can someone explain what is this error and is it really an error?

     Also I did a  little bit of digging inside the code,  the following code piece looks might be doing the logging:

 components/org.apache.stratos.autoscaler/src/main/java/org/apache/stratos/autoscaler/rule/RuleTasksDelegator.java

    publicint getNumberOfInstancesRequiredBasedOnRif(float rifPredictedValue, float rifThreshold) {

        if (rifThreshold != 0) {

            float requiredNumberOfInstances = rifPredictedValue / rifThreshold;

            return (int) Math.ceil(requiredNumberOfInstances);

        } else {

            log.error("Request in flight threshold is Zero");

            return0;

        }

    }

  Question is,  is it normal for rifThreshold to be 0?    Should we fix this condition, or if it is not so critical,  would it be proper to lower this error to like warning?

Thank!

-Feng Zhou

RE: Can some one share some insight on this error (Request in flight threshold is Zero) ?

Posted by "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <me...@cisco.com>.
Our latest commit is

commit 0fd41840fb04d92ba921bf58c59c2c3fbad0c561
Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>.
Hi Martin,

{
    "id": "autoscaling-policy_economy",
    "loadThresholds": {
        "requestsInFlight": {
            "threshold": 20
        },
        "memoryConsumption": {
            "threshold": 70
        },
        "loadAverage": {
            "threshold": 70
        }
    }
}

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi Martin/Feng

wrote:

>  Hi Udara,
>

> Attached is an example of an autoscaling policy which is causing the error
> message.
>
> Considering that this property or the absence of this property doesn’t
> seem to cause any harm or effect but causes ERROR messages in the log
> wouldn’t it be better to change the level to a WARNING or even suppress it ?

Can you modify the autoscaling as Akila mentioned? However when you have
threshold value for RIF as zero, this error will get printed.

+1 for having the correct log level here. Though these error logs are not
breaking any functionality of stratos, you could set the RIF threshold
value to a non-zero value as a workaround in order to avoid the continuous
error logs? We can definitely improve this log level in the next immediate
release. Can we track this in a jira?

Thanks,
Reka

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

RE: Can some one share some insight on this error (Request in flight threshold is Zero) ?

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

--

Udara Liyanage