Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sebastien Arbogast <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/15 18:10:40 UTC

Maven book: feedback

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of reading "Better builds with Maven" and
to be honnest... I'm quite disappointed. I found "Maven Developer's
notebook" for Maven 1 excellent, and I said it a few times on this
list. It's even one of the books I used the most often for some time.
And when Vincent Massol announced at JavaPolis in last december that a
free Maven2 book was on its way, I was very excited, because I dreamt
of such a good book combined with all the marvels of Maven2 that he
demonstrated.

When I started reading "Better Builds with Maven" for the first time,
just after it was released, I was quickly annoyed by the number of
errors and the inconsistence of  sample source code with what was
reproduced in the book. So I waited for the updated version with
corrected errata and I'm reading it right now... and I'm somewhat
disappointed because it puzzles me more than anything.

It starts off with a very basic introduction to what is Maven, how it
was designed... and suddenly, it jumps straight up to web services and
very elaborated samples that have nothing to do with a progressive and
pragmatic approach. Even worse: samples are full of noise concerning
exotic plugins and their configuration and the structure is very...
weird.

I'm not into free criticism, but I think feedback is important, even
when it's negative. And based on that, I would like to know if there
is a Maven2 Developer's Notebook in the pipeline, something more
pragmatic, something simpler, something that would give justice to the
beauty of Maven2. Because I'm afraid this one could frighten new users
more than encourage them to abandon their old Ant scripts. Because I
would even be ready to pay a few tens of bucks just to get the same
experience I had with the first O'Reilly volume. And because
obviously, I miss a lot of knowledge to write it myself.

Once again, don't take me wrong: this is not free criticism, this is
just my humble yet negative feedback as a user who's been using Maven1
for about a year and a half on personal and professional projects, and
who's looking for an efficient and comprehensive reference book to
migrate to Maven 2 and understand its changes pragmatically and
progressively.

--
Sébastien Arbogast

http://www.sebastien-arbogast.com

Re: Maven book: feedback

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Sebastien Arbogast" <se...@gmail.com> writes:

>> OTOH there's already open documentation on the Maven wiki and in Maven's
>> svn. It's not because it's open that people contribute more or that the
>> quality is better...

>IMHO, Wiki is too open, SVN is not open enough. A CMS would be a
>middle-alternative allowing people to add remarks without modifying
>the original content. And only "committers" could decide to synthetize
>a few remarks and create a new version of the content.

You might want to take a look at the "html documentation with user comments"
that MySQL and PHP use very successfully.

	Best regards
		Henning

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: Maven book: feedback

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.
Vincent , I guess the lack of flow is what I perhaps was trying to
illustrate in our chat the other day.To a total newbie , things get
pretty confusing as to how to put it all together in order to have a
working build environment.I wouldn't be a good thing for people to be
scared away from M2 just because there's no clear documentation , for
such a great build tool.

--

Jeff  Mutonho
Cape Town

Re: Maven book: feedback

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
All,

While I appreciate the feedback, can I offer some suggestions on the
most effective way to give it...

Regarding the book from Mergere:
- send book feedback to community@mergere.com (same as for submitting
errata, see the front of the book)

Regarding the separate Maven documentation efforts:
- take a look at prior discussions on this list
- particularly take a look at recent discussions on
dev@maven.apache.org that talk about our current plan of action with
respect to the Maven documentation
- avoid "me too" comments, please. We've read it all before and we are
working on it (and you are welcome to help!)

If I could highlight how this is being approached:
- a lot of people are working on the plugin documentation, and there
is a standard format [1]
- there are a number of proposals for improving the site entrance and
navigation, eg [2]
- there are some other tasks up for grabs [3]
- there is a wiki anyone can contribute to. We eventually hope to
better structure this as a cookbook area that will be sucked directly
into a segment of the Maven site [4]

Thanks!
- Brett

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+Plugin+Documentation
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200606.mbox/%3c4496C4E9.2000703@apache.org%3e
[3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200606.mbox/%3c4496B160.6050105@apache.org%3e
[4] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Home

Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
"Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

RE: Maven book: feedback

Posted by Mi...@sanlam.co.za.

Re: Maven book: feedback

Posted by Sebastien Arbogast <se...@gmail.com>.
> OTOH there's already open documentation on the Maven wiki and in Maven's
> svn. It's not because it's open that people contribute more or that the
> quality is better...

IMHO, Wiki is too open, SVN is not open enough. A CMS would be a
middle-alternative allowing people to add remarks without modifying
the original content. And only "committers" could decide to synthetize
a few remarks and create a new version of the content.

I totally agree with you: it's not because it's open that people
contribute more or that the quality is better... but with the right
tools and methods, it's exactly what happens. Think of how Open Source
software works: anybody can propose patches, only committers can apply
them. With such an open documentation effort, everybody could submit
comments, only committers could rewrite sections to integrate those
remarks. PHP project has been doing that for years and their
documentation is wonderful: even non-committed comments are useful
because they offer very pragmatic and issue-driven answers to specific
problems.

We had exactly the same discussion last year with Cocoon community
when Mark Leicester and I tried to start an open documentation effort
for Cocoon (http://www.planetcocoon.com). I've always thought that
Apache's projects documentation could greatly benefit from such an
open approach for documentation.

RE: Maven book: feedback

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
I think it's hard to do when you start from scratch. However now that
there's a first version I believe it could work. We may still need some kind
of workflow and review process before accepting changes but yes it could
work.

OTOH there's already open documentation on the Maven wiki and in Maven's
svn. It's not because it's open that people contribute more or that the
quality is better...

The book belongs to Mergere, who has sponsored it. Thus it's not my choice
nor the community but rather Mergere's. I'm personally open to all
suggestions.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Maven book: feedback