Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net> on 2004/06/07 10:06:10 UTC

[Announce] CODE FREEZE

[/me puts release manager hat on...]

This message is to officially declare a code freeze.

Commiting to CVS is only allowed if:

1) the commit fixes a bug in bugzilla which is tagged 1.2

2) AND the commit is discussed and approved on the mailing list.

Any commit which doesn't comply with above rules will be reverted.

The freeze will be off as soon as we release.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.net   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> writes:

> However, does the freeze imply the release balls being right in place?

No it is meant as a reminder so people do not check in their stuff
without discussing it first.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> writes:

> no, but my question probably wasn't explicit enough, in the sense:
> ok, now we have a code freeze, but what now?

> What version is to be tested?

As long as noone builds a tar ball the version in CVS is to be tested.

> How long shall we keep the code freeze? etc. ....

Until we release :-)

> I don't want to blame anyone, because everyone is doing this in
> their spare "time" and this should be appreciated by everyone, but I
> think it's very confusing how we try to get this release out,
> because nobody seems to want to take the actual lead, but which I
> think would be very important.

I do not have the time until friday to build a release.

> Or am I the only being confused here? If so please just tell me.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:57, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>

> >Yes, this is why I thought the communities vote an RM.
> >
> >However I try my best even if this is not enough. It is good to have the
> >code freeze now and if we had not decided to use cocoon2.1.5 we already
> >would have 1.2 release balls. Doing the release and not being RM is hard
> >to do since I never know if it is right or wrong what I decide.
> >

> I would like to suggest that Christian steps down as RM and would like
> to suggest that you become new RM. What do you think?

Mhh, it would simplify some things for me, but the show is almost over
now. Yes, it makes sense that the one who is preparing the release has
the RM hat.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>> We also need a release announcement or such. Who can do that?
>>

> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaRelease1.2PR

Jupp, I saw that :).

Very nice, so I will not post anything!

Menos trabajo!-> Andreas did you start taking spanish lessons ;-).

Cheers Gregor for the reminder.

thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Informacio'n S.A.U.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
>request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
>for endorsement and release should look like.
>
>We also need a release announcement or such. Who can do that?

I can ask around ;-).

I will write to some other incubator projects. Maybe they know more.
Besides that I will ask in Forrest-dev list. Seems to me that it is a
good place to ask ;-).

King regards
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 14:08, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> > Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> >

> >> Ok, but be patient with me.
> >

> > sure :-)
> >
> >> I will upload the 1.2 balls this afternoon.
> >> We then should vote if we want to release the archives.
> >>
> >> After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
> >> request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
> >> for endorsement and release should look like.
> >>
> >> We also need a release announcement or such. Who can do that?
> >>

> > http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaRelease1.2PR
> >

> > btw, being the RM does mean you have to do all this stuff ;-)
>

> sorry, I wanted to say "does NOT mean"

Good to know :)

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>

>> Ok, but be patient with me.
>

> sure :-)
>
>> I will upload the 1.2 balls this afternoon.
>> We then should vote if we want to release the archives.
>>
>> After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
>> request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
>> for endorsement and release should look like.
>>
>> We also need a release announcement or such. Who can do that?
>>

> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaRelease1.2PR
>

> btw, being the RM does mean you have to do all this stuff ;-)

sorry, I wanted to say "does NOT mean"

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman asked:
>>

>>>What is the current status of the IP and community?  What is keeping
>>>Lenya in incubation?
>>>

>>Good question, afaics nothing since Lenya full fills all incubation
>>rules BUT the u2date status file :)
>>
>>I think after the 1.2 release (still under incubation) we should focus
>>on actions to exit incubation.
>>

>As you'll see from my much longer response to Steven, I'm wondering why
>there should be a release during Incubation, rather than focus the energy on
>getting Lenya out of the Incubator.

the question is how do we attract more developers.
I don't think there is just a "brute force" method there ;-)

The more people are using Lenya, the better are the changes that some
people are really starting to contribute.

Also important is that Wyona needs to lean a bit back and transfer
responsibilities
to other people. I think Wyona does that, but it takes a certain amount
of time
and needs patience.

So there is certainly a connection between incubation and an actual
release, but
on the other hand the release (code base and it's users) don't have anything
to do with the incubation.

But what is unclear to me: Why shouldn't there be a release during
incubation?

Thanks

Michi

>  I see Leo Simons also asking the
>question, and Gregor concuring with it.
>
>	--- Noel

Michael Wechner

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman asked:
>>

>>>What is the current status of the IP and community?  What is keeping
>>>Lenya in incubation?
>>>

>>Good question, afaics nothing since Lenya full fills all incubation
>>rules BUT the u2date status file :)
>>
>>I think after the 1.2 release (still under incubation) we should focus
>>on actions to exit incubation.
>>

>As you'll see from my much longer response to Steven, I'm wondering why
>there should be a release during Incubation, rather than focus the energy on
>getting Lenya out of the Incubator.

the question is how do we attract more developers.
I don't think there is just a "brute force" method there ;-)

The more people are using Lenya, the better are the changes that some
people are really starting to contribute.

Also important is that Wyona needs to lean a bit back and transfer
responsibilities
to other people. I think Wyona does that, but it takes a certain amount
of time
and needs patience.

So there is certainly a connection between incubation and an actual
release, but
on the other hand the release (code base and it's users) don't have anything
to do with the incubation.

But what is unclear to me: Why shouldn't there be a release during
incubation?

Thanks

Michi

>  I see Leo Simons also asking the
>question, and Gregor concuring with it.
>
>	--- Noel

Michael Wechner

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ku...@gmx.de>.
On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 02:00, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman asked:
> > > What is the current status of the IP and community?  What is keeping
> > > Lenya in incubation?
> >
> > Good question, afaics nothing since Lenya full fills all incubation
> > rules BUT the u2date status file :)
> >
> > I think after the 1.2 release (still under incubation) we should focus
> > on actions to exit incubation.
>
> As you'll see from my much longer response to Steven, I'm wondering why
> there should be a release during Incubation, rather than focus the energy on
> getting Lenya out of the Incubator.

Ok, let me tell u a little background. I will try to tell the story from
my point of view and hope I will not blame anyone.

When I started using Lenya I was aware of Lenya being under incubation.
When I was voted as a commiter I still was aware that LEnya is under
Incubation. We talk about a time frame of 6 months and I never saw
discussions about the IP and I was not subscribed to any incubator lists
because I did not see the need.

While I started caring for the release I saw that the IP was a bit
"unmaintained" and that it is very important to maintain IP if we want
to do a release or exit incubation.

To be honest, I never thought that it is an option to leave incubation
_soon_ . I think I learned my lessons about incubation and I'm sorry
that I have not cared about incubation before.

So, why do the release before exiting incubation? I can not really
answer that question, it depends on how long the decision making process
will take and we _need_ to release (_we_ are ready to release). I agree
we also need to exit incubation.

I would very appreciate if the incubators help us to decide whats best
for us.

--

RolfKulemann

"There is inherently no silverbullet" - F.Brooks

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman asked:
> > What is the current status of the IP and community?  What is keeping
> > Lenya in incubation?
>
> Good question, afaics nothing since Lenya full fills all incubation
> rules BUT the u2date status file :)
>
> I think after the 1.2 release (still under incubation) we should focus
> on actions to exit incubation.

As you'll see from my much longer response to Steven, I'm wondering why
there should be a release during Incubation, rather than focus the energy on
getting Lenya out of the Incubator.  I see Leo Simons also asking the

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 04:41, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > as far as I know you two are the official mentors of Apache Lenya. Can
> one of
> > > you please answer this question regarding the release of Lenya 1.2 ?

> requests
>
> The Incubator PMC needs to be involved.  That ought to be via the Lenya
> PPMC, but I am not sure how well that has been put together, since Lenya
> existed before the PPMC approach was devised.  There is a
> lenya-ppmc@incubator.apache.org list, although the vote should happen on a
> public list.
>
> Incubation focuses on IP clearance and community development.

Sorry, what is IP?

> Making
> releases at best a low priority.  I'd like to know how things are going with
> Lenya.  What is the current status of the IP and community?  What is keeping
> Lenya in incubation?
> Lenya didn't provide an update for the Incubator's
> quarterly board report in April, and
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lenya.html needs to be updated.

We/I will update it _soon_ .

--
Rolf Kulemann

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

RE: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>

>>> we currently have 2 independent commiters, rolf and dale.
>>

>> What about Thorsten?
>

> DOH!! sorry :) i mentally grouped him with wyona because he used to be a
> wyona cms committer.

  :)
LOL
;-)
...my honor to be one of wyona :)

...maybe someday in the furture ;-).

thorsteb

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Which translates to "Stefano and Nicola agree this is a good thing,
> lenya peeps ask for release endorsement vote on general@incubator".
>
> IMV, releases are kind-of discouraged.
>
> Why are you not talking about exiting incubation? Lenya's been here for
> a year now, hasn't it?

i took a look at the exit criteria recently. the only one that may raise
concerns at this time is the number of independent commiters.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Exit+Requirements

No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active committers
(must be at least 3 independent committers)
<<

we currently have 2 independent commiters, rolf and dale.

>  From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing
> is a legal audit, which needs to happen before a release anyway!

we went over the code with great care during the ASL 2.0 migration and
believe the codebase to be legally sound as defined in

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Exit+Requirements

# Legal
# All code ASL'ed
# No non ASL or ASL compatbile dependencies in the code base
# License grant complate
# CLAs on file.
# Check of project name for trademark issues

what is the procedure beyond that? i can dig up the email archive where
we discussed the ASL 2.0 migration and what we found.

oh, i just saw that stefano took care of explaining this one.. never mind

> I'd suggest taking care of the legal stuff, updating the status file,
> and after that starting two votes: one from the incubator pmc for
> graduation, and then one from the cocoon pmc for the release. Cocoon is
> probably better able to judge release quality, and it makes a more
> exiting press release :-D

sounds like a good plan.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Which translates to "Stefano and Nicola agree this is a good thing,
> lenya peeps ask for release endorsement vote on general@incubator".
>
> IMV, releases are kind-of discouraged.
>
> Why are you not talking about exiting incubation? Lenya's been here for
> a year now, hasn't it?

i took a look at the exit criteria recently. the only one that may raise
concerns at this time is the number of independent commiters.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Exit+Requirements

No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active committers
(must be at least 3 independent committers)
<<

we currently have 2 independent commiters, rolf and dale.

>  From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing
> is a legal audit, which needs to happen before a release anyway!

we went over the code with great care during the ASL 2.0 migration and
believe the codebase to be legally sound as defined in

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Exit+Requirements

# Legal
# All code ASL'ed
# No non ASL or ASL compatbile dependencies in the code base
# License grant complate
# CLAs on file.
# Check of project name for trademark issues

what is the procedure beyond that? i can dig up the email archive where
we discussed the ASL 2.0 migration and what we found.

oh, i just saw that stefano took care of explaining this one.. never mind

> I'd suggest taking care of the legal stuff, updating the status file,
> and after that starting two votes: one from the incubator pmc for
> graduation, and then one from the cocoon pmc for the release. Cocoon is
> probably better able to judge release quality, and it makes a more
> exiting press release :-D

sounds like a good plan.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 15:02, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>

>>>Who volunteers to do the job?
>>
>>i can do it.
>

> Gregor, thank you very much.

Jupp, thanks, good job.

Cheers,
thorsten

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 15:02, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Who volunteers to do the job?
>
> i can do it.

Gregor, thank you very much.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> As an incubation sponsor, we need to do a legal audit of the
> distribution before the release.
>
> As for 'legal audit', I mean:
>
>  1) a list of the libraries shipped with lenya (this includes non-java
> things like javascript editors and such)

xalan-2.5.0
ant-1.6a-2003-08-05.jar
ant-optional1.6a-2003-08-05.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
dom4j.jar
excalibur-testcase-1.0.jar
jing-20030619.jar
junit.jar
log4j-1.2.8.jar
quartz-scheduler.jar
servlet.jar
websphinx.jar
xmldb-common-2003-09-02.jar
xmdb-xupdate-203-10-14.jar
lucene-1.4-rc3.jar
nekodtd-20020615.jar
nekopull-0.2.4.jar
forrest-oldlibre.jar
xml-forrest-scratchpad.jar
jetty-4.2.19.jar
servlet-2.3.jar

javascript editors:

bxe
kupu

>  2) a list of the licenses shipped with lenya (here, even legal
> dependency should be covered by a license)

LICENSE.ant
LICENSE.apache
LICENSE.batik
LICENSE.bxeng
LICENSE.dom4j
LICENSE.forrest
LICENSE.jakarta-commons
LICENSE.jakarta-regexp
LICENSE.jetty
LICENSE.jing
LICENSE.jtidy
LICENSE.junit
LICENSE.krysalis
LICENSE.logkit
LICENSE.lucene
LICENSE.quartz
LICENSE.resolver
LICENSE.servlet
LICENSE.websphinx
LICENSE.xalan
LICENSE.xerces
LICENSE.xml-apis
LICENSE.xmldb
log4j-1.2.8.license.txt
neko.license.txt
kupu.license.txt

>  3) a credit file that fullfills the legal requirements of those
> licenses (should recognition be given)

we modelled this one on the cocoon one. NOTICE.txt contains the
acknnowledgements for 3rd party code, CREDITS.txt the credits for commiters.

>  4) all source code files (and eventually complex scripts and
> stylesheets) should contain the apache license boilerplate

this is done as per the ASL 2.0 migration a couple months ago.

> Who volunteers to do the job?

i can do it.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing
> is a legal audit, which needs to happen before a release anyway!

Ok, people, you heard Leo.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Ehm, we are not talking aobut exiting incubation, we are talking about
> releasing it.

ah, in that case, from the same document:

----
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0A

"As podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
Foundation, any software releases (including code held in publically
available CVS) made by Podlings will not be endorsed by the ASF.

However, as software releases are an important part of any software
project, they are permitted in certain circumstances, as follows.

Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software
without the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC. Such approval SHALL
be given only after the Incubator PMC has followed the process detailed
in (Reference to Charter), and SHALL NOT occur until all source has been
legally transferred to the ASF.

Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL formally request the Incubator PMC approve such a release.
The request SHALL have the endorsement of the Mentor.

Should the Incubator PMC, in accordance with (Reference to Charter) vote
to approve the request, the Podling MAY perform the release under the
following constraints :

     * the release archive MUST contain the word "incubating" in the
filename; and
     * the release archive MUST contain an Incubation disclaimer (as
described in the previous section), clearly visible in the main
documentation or README file."
----

Which translates to "Stefano and Nicola agree this is a good thing,
lenya peeps ask for release endorsement vote on general@incubator".

IMV, releases are kind-of discouraged.

Why are you not talking about exiting incubation? Lenya's been here for
a year now, hasn't it?

 From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing
is a legal audit, which needs to happen before a release anyway!

I'd suggest taking care of the legal stuff, updating the status file,
and after that starting two votes: one from the incubator pmc for
graduation, and then one from the cocoon pmc for the release. Cocoon is
probably better able to judge release quality, and it makes a more
exiting press release :-D

cheers!

- Leo

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Ehm, we are not talking aobut exiting incubation, we are talking about
> releasing it.

ah, in that case, from the same document:

----
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0A

"As podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
Foundation, any software releases (including code held in publically
available CVS) made by Podlings will not be endorsed by the ASF.

However, as software releases are an important part of any software
project, they are permitted in certain circumstances, as follows.

Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software
without the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC. Such approval SHALL
be given only after the Incubator PMC has followed the process detailed
in (Reference to Charter), and SHALL NOT occur until all source has been
legally transferred to the ASF.

Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL formally request the Incubator PMC approve such a release.
The request SHALL have the endorsement of the Mentor.

Should the Incubator PMC, in accordance with (Reference to Charter) vote
to approve the request, the Podling MAY perform the release under the
following constraints :

     * the release archive MUST contain the word "incubating" in the
filename; and
     * the release archive MUST contain an Incubation disclaimer (as
described in the previous section), clearly visible in the main
documentation or README file."
----

Which translates to "Stefano and Nicola agree this is a good thing,
lenya peeps ask for release endorsement vote on general@incubator".

IMV, releases are kind-of discouraged.

Why are you not talking about exiting incubation? Lenya's been here for
a year now, hasn't it?

 From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 17:51, Leo Simons wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > Eh, good question, I've never done it before. Let's ask the incubator PMC.
>
> (lets try and keep everything incubator-related that doesn't need to be
> private on general@incubator...follow-up there pleez!)
>
> See:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exitting+the+Incubator

We did.

> In summary:
>
> * make sure the incubator statusfile for lenya is up-to-date and all
>    bullets checked;
>
> * lenya people ask incubator pmc to vote on incubator sign-off on
>    general@incubator after gaining internal consensus they're done
>    incubating;
>
> * if incubator pmc agrees everything is done, lenya and cocoon are
>    notified and take care of all the relevant details (like moving
>    the incubator status file to the appropriate location, updating
>    website, filing infrastructure requests, etc).

Thanks.

> besides the incubator policy docs, you can see application of them to
> several projects in the general@incubator mailing list archives.

I'm sorry, I used eyebrowse, marc and google and could not find any
release requests in general-incubator. Maybe someone on the list can
give me a link?

But I think it is quite clear how to do it. Thanks for the answer.
I was just unsure.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 12:41, Leo Simons wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > besides the incubator policy docs, you can see application of them to
> > several projects in the general@incubator mailing list archives.
>
> someone requested an example:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&by=thread&from=771976

Yes, but an example for a release request, not for a graduation.
Thanks anyway.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> besides the incubator policy docs, you can see application of them to
> several projects in the general@incubator mailing list archives.

someone requested an example:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&by=thread&from=771976

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>>
>>> After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
>>> request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
>>> for endorsement and release should look like.
>
> Eh, good question, I've never done it before. Let's ask the incubator PMC.

(lets try and keep everything incubator-related that doesn't need to be
private on general@incubator...follow-up there pleez!)

See:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exitting+the+Incubator

In summary:

* make sure the incubator statusfile for lenya is up-to-date and all
   bullets checked;

* lenya people ask incubator pmc to vote on incubator sign-off on
   general@incubator after gaining internal consensus they're done
   incubating;

* if incubator pmc agrees everything is done, lenya and cocoon are
   notified and take care of all the relevant details (like moving
   the incubator status file to the appropriate location, updating
   website, filing infrastructure requests, etc).

besides the incubator policy docs, you can see application of them to
several projects in the general@incubator mailing list archives.

cheers!

- LSD

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 08 Jun 2004, at 14:47, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Hello Steven and Stefano,
>
> as far as I know you two are the official mentors of Apache Lenya. Can
> one of
> you please answer this question regarding the release of Lenya 1.2 ?

I'm reading the list - no need to copy me directly.

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
>> request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the
>> requests
>> for endorsement and release should look like.

There's no specific form you should consider - after you voted
yourself, just send a note to the Incubator requesting sign-off of your
release. Make sure your STATUS file is updated, BTW.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Releasing Lenya 1.2

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Hello Steven and Stefano,

Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
> request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
> for endorsement and release should look like.

Thanks,
Andreas

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 11:41, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Christian Egli wrote:
>

> >I would be willing to hand over my rm hat to roku.
> >

> ok, then I would suggest that Rolf is wearing the RM hat.
> Rolf, what do you think?

Ok, but be patient with me. I will upload the 1.2 balls this afternoon.
We then should vote if we want to release the archives.

After the vote we have to do many more things like doing the incubator
request. It would be fine if someone can give me a hint how the requests
for endorsement and release should look like.

We also need a release announcement or such. Who can do that?

--
Rolf Kulemann

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."
		-- J. Paul Getty

PGP/GPG public key:
	 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:57, Michael Wechner wrote:

> > I would like to suggest that Christian steps down as RM and would like
> > to suggest that you become new RM. What do you think?
>
> Mhh, it would simplify some things for me, but the show is almost over
> now. Yes, it makes sense that the one who is preparing the release has
> the RM hat.

In fact I asked Rolf on irc if he would be willing to be rm. At the
time he declined.

I'd agree that it would make things simpler as he has been doing
releases and has generaly been on top of things. At the same time I do
not have much time.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>Yes, this is why I thought the communities vote an RM.
>
>However I try my best even if this is not enough. It is good to have the
>code freeze now and if we had not decided to use cocoon2.1.5 we already
>would have 1.2 release balls. Doing the release and not being RM is hard
>to do since I never know if it is right or wrong what I decide.

I would like to suggest that Christian steps down as RM and would like
to suggest that you become new RM. What do you think?

>I appreciate actions instead of big words. Instaed of writing such
>mails, we should test what we have, well...

agreed

>Vote about the patch and I continue rolling....do not talk about things
>which bring us torwards the release...
>
>and this email only causes energy
>wasting.

I don't think so. I think discussions are necessary.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:59, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> >>what and where is the current tentative release?
> >>

> >I did not upload it due to the warnings I got during lenya startup
> >(cocoon 2.1.5). I currently try to find out what to do about it. Maybe u
> >can download a test archive from
> >http://cvs.apache.org/~roku/incubator/lenya/incubating-lenya-1.2-bin.tar.gz and tell me if u get the warnings too? Or if I just can ignore them?
> >

> I will try to do that tomorrow
>
> >However, does the freeze imply the release balls being right in place?
> >

> no, but my question probably wasn't explicit enough, in the sense:
> ok, now we have a code freeze, but what now? What version is to be tested?
> How long shall we keep the code freeze? etc. ....
>
> I don't want to blame anyone, because everyone is doing this in their
> spare "time"
> and this should be appreciated by everyone, but I think it's very
> confusing how we try to get this release out, because nobody seems to
> want to take the actual lead,
> but which I think would be very important.

Yes, this is why I thought the communities vote an RM.

However I try my best even if this is not enough. It is good to have the
code freeze now and if we had not decided to use cocoon2.1.5 we already
would have 1.2 release balls. Doing the release and not being RM is hard
to do since I never know if it is right or wrong what I decide. To
discuss every piece in ml is tedious and does blow my available
timeframe.

I appreciate actions instead of big words. Instaed of writing such
mails, we should test what we have, well...

> Or am I the only being confused here? If so please just tell me.

Mhh, I see the situation as it is. I can not understand why "old"
committers are confused since they caused the situation. I do not say
that is bad, it is just as it is.

If WE confuse people, but the release discussion is going on since
chrismas last year.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> [...]
>

> Or am I the only being confused here? If so please just tell me.

No, me too!

;-)

I would like to know when the freeze is over and when we doing the release.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)
Tlfn: (+34) 955 062 627
e-mail: thorsten.scherler.ext@juntadeandalucia.es

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o
distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de "Sociedad
Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". Si no
es Ud. el destinatario del mensaje le ruego lo destruya sin hacer copia
digital o física, comunicando a Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U. vía e-mail o fax la recepción del presente
mensaje. Toda declaración de voluntad contenida deberá ser tenida por no
producida. Gracias.
___________________

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and
solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication
is prohibited without the prior written consent of "Sociedad Andaluza para
el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". If you are not the
formal receiver of this message please destroy it without making any digital
or physical copy and inform "Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U." , by e-mail or fax, of the reception of
the present message. Any whatsoever involuntary declaration contained
herewith must be taken as having no legal effect. Thank you.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: [Announce] CODE FREEZE

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.