Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2005/03/31 08:52:31 UTC

[ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

The Apache Jakarta Tomcat team is proud to announce the immediate
availability of Jakarta Tomcat Connectors 1.2.10. The release
contains a significant number of bug fixes and new features.

Please see the
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/changelog.html
for a full list of changes.
With release 1.2.10 the JkShmFile property has been added for Apache
1.3.x and Apache 2.x web servers on UNIX and LINUX platforms. Load
balancer will not work properly if this directive is not present.

Please refer to the change log for the list of changes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/changelog.html

Sources can be found at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/source/jk-1.2.10/

Binaries can be found at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/
For now there is only a set of win32 binaries:
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-1.2.10/

If you find any bugs while using this release, please fill in the
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Tomcat%205
Bug Report. When entering bug select Native:JK Component.

The Jakarta Tomcat Connectors Team.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi,
>> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about
>> those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly
>> to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years
>> ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that
>> three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from
>> Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!
>>

> Do you have any proposal what should we do?
there's no other way than what I did: define own types and cast.

Here's the whole problem:
- from clib sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 1.3:
int setsockopt( SKT s, int level, int name, char *val, int len );

- from libc sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 2.x:
int setsockopt(int s, int level, int optname, const void * optval, size_t optlen);

and there's really _no_ compiler switch to tell CodeWarrior to treat 'const char*' <-> 'char*' differences as warnings than as errors.

But I think on the other side the Metrowerks CodeWarrior is not the only compiler which behaves abnormal, and that's one of the reasons why Apache2 uses own types whenever it makes sense; Apache 1.3 did not so much, and therefore you see it building with a couple of warnings on many platforms - and even with gcc you see them if developers would use -Wall ....

greetz, Guen.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Well the GCC 3.2 used on my Linux PPC reports also many warnings :-)

Making all in common
make[1]: Entering directory
`/root/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.10-src/jk/native/common'
/bin/sh /usr/share/apache2/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc
-I/usr/include/apache2-prefork -g -O2 -O2 -fsigned-char -fPIC -Wall
-fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -g -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -pthread -DHAVE_APR
-I/usr/include/apache2-prefork -g -O2 -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DAP_DEBUG -I /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-ibm/include -I
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-ibm/include/ -c jk_ajp12_worker.c
In file included from jk_uri_worker_map.h:35,
                 from jk_service.h:34,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.h:27,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.c:25:
jk_mt.h:81: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
In file included from jk_uri_worker_map.h:36,
                 from jk_service.h:34,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.h:27,
                 from jk_ajp12_worker.c:25:
jk_shm.h:91: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:99: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:118: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:127: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:134: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:138: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
jk_shm.h:141: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Günter Knauf wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!

Do you have any proposal what should we do?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Mladen,
>> for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch
>> jk_connect.c:
>> http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
>> if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...
>>

> This is related to MetroWerks compiler treating warnings as errors,
> if I remember correctly? Why don't you use GCC?
Yep. Because Metrowerks is still the 'official' NetWare compiler, and Apache is still built with it; also the build systems are currently only to support MW.
In addition the gcc crosscompiler versions floating around have issues which prevent building with gcc. Novell has now internally modified gcc self, and ported their own linker to Linux; but they did not yet make this the official compiler, nor release the linker source.

Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!

greets, Guenter.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Günter Knauf wrote:

> Mladen,
> for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch jk_connect.c:
> http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
> if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...

This is related to MetroWerks compiler treating warnings as errors,
if I remember correctly? Why don't you use GCC?

+#if defined(NETWARE) && !defined(__NOVELL_LIBC__)
+typedef char* SET_TYPE;
+#else
+typedef const char* SET_TYPE;
+#endif

Yes, sure, the patch looks OK.

Regards,
Mladen

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi,
> Binaries can be found at:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/
> For now there is only a set of win32 binaries:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-
> 1.2.10/
added NetWare binaries for testing:
http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/
any folks on NetWare please test these binaries and post here about any problems before we move them to the d/l location.

Mladen,
for getting the Apache13 and Netscape connectors compiled I had to patch jk_connect.c:
http://www.apache.org/~fuankg/mod_jk/jk_connect.c.diff
if you have no better idea I would like to get that in...

thanks, Guenter.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 03:34 AM 3/31/2005, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
> Mladen, could you please slow down long enough to give folks some
> reasonable time to react to your candidates? (Was 40 hours from
> tarball to announce.)  Some reasonable amount of time, say 72 hours,
> to give committers time to perform some satisfactory testing.

Sure, no problem.
Think it was longer then 40 hours, but I had to wait for syncing
to take place between ajax and minotaur.

> At the least, give folks a timetable to expect :)

Regards,
Mladen

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 03:34 AM 3/31/2005, Henri Gomez wrote:
>1.2.10,  I awaited a 1.2.9 final release.
>
>We just add a 1.2.9 beta

Kurt and Henri voted yes.  I'd presume Mladen's vote was +1 too.

Glenn didn't vote yes, he reserved his vote for stress testing.

Mladen, could you please slow down long enough to give folks some
reasonable time to react to your candidates? (Was 40 hours from
tarball to announce.)  Some reasonable amount of time, say 72 hours,
to give committers time to perform some satisfactory testing.

At the least, give folks a timetable to expect :)

Bill

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> Linux is such a mess in large part because people who write software
>> treat it as second-class - 'let someone else deal with compiling
>> binaries for linux, I'll only do it for windows and mac'. As a result
>> linux distributions have the freedom to mess up and 'personalize'
>> each package to their own taste ( we all know how painful it is to
>> switch from one distro to another or use/support 2 distros - each
>> file is in a different place - this is called lock in ). On windows -
>> you can get nice binaries, with installer and everything else you
>> would expect - distributed by the package authors.
>
> Even if we produce binaries, distributions will use their own. People
> also tend to use what their distribution provides.

I wish there was a way to convince distros not to do their own disparate
things -- with Tomcat, Apache, etc, etc.  It fragments documentation,
support, and automation of configuration, etc, and really is a pity.  It
would be nice if everything was consistently installed in a standard
layout and then symbolic links created into the standard layout from
other locations as the distros saw fit -- especially if there was a
"repair" script to fix these if needed.  Having the location of the
original copies of things vary is highly annoying for anyone trying to
communicate with those on disparate distros and platforms.

On the other hand, it seems that distros tend to feel some need to do
things that seemingly should be common/standard differently (they're
almost Microsoft like in that respect...) -- and people obviously use
the path of least resistance, i.e. whatever their distro provides.

--
Jess Holle

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>
> I kind of disagree...
>
> If I want Firefox for linux - I get it from Mozilla.org. It may be a
> .tar.gz or .rpm - but it is a binary provided by the software
> maintainers, not by a 3rd party ( like a linux distributor ). And it is
> the 'real' thing, not a randomly modified version ( different flags and
> features, etc ).

This is *so* not cool, you're not using Gentoo ;)
First you use binaries. Ok, fine. But then, you use .tgz or .rpm ? I
expected better.

> Linux is such a mess in large part because people who write software
> treat it as second-class - 'let someone else deal with compiling
> binaries for linux, I'll only do it for windows and mac'. As a result
> linux distributions have the freedom to mess up and 'personalize' each
> package to their own taste ( we all know how painful it is to switch
> from one distro to another or use/support 2 distros - each file is in a
> different place - this is called lock in ). On windows - you can get
> nice binaries, with installer and everything else you would expect -
> distributed by the package authors.

Even if we produce binaries, distributions will use their own. People
also tend to use what their distribution provides.

Rémy

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> I could provide Linux binaries for Suse 8.0 PPC and Suse SLES 9 but
>> it's up to distributions mainteners to provide such binaries (via
>> rpm/deb).
>>
>> Take a look at jpackage for many Linux RPM binaries
>>

> Yes, that is my opinion too.
>
> We should focus on providing a solid:
> 'configure && make && make install', rather then
> providing a binaries for ourself.
>
> I think that we are good and mature project that any
> serious linux distribution (at least targeted for
> enterprise environment) should take into account,
> and provide a binaries on their own.
>
> We can provide binaries for platforms that does not
> come with integrated build system like WIN32, and
> we are doing so. Although, personally I would be
> pleased to see the isapi_redirector.dll as part of the
> next XP service pack, it's hard too expect something
> like that :)

I kind of disagree...

If I want Firefox for linux - I get it from Mozilla.org. It may be a
.tar.gz or .rpm - but it is a binary provided by the software
maintainers, not by a 3rd party ( like a linux distributor ). And it is
the 'real' thing, not a randomly modified version ( different flags and
features, etc ).

Linux is such a mess in large part because people who write software
treat it as second-class - 'let someone else deal with compiling
binaries for linux, I'll only do it for windows and mac'. As a result
linux distributions have the freedom to mess up and 'personalize' each
package to their own taste ( we all know how painful it is to switch
from one distro to another or use/support 2 distros - each file is in a
different place - this is called lock in ). On windows - you can get
nice binaries, with installer and everything else you would expect -
distributed by the package authors.

Costin

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Chris Egolf wrote:
> Lionel Farbos wrote:
>
>> - I've not found any documentation on the status worker (and web
>> page) and the ability to reload jk configuration without a reload of
>> apache. Can you tell me more about these new features (or give me a
>> link I missed) ?
>

> I second this request.

Yes, seems we simply did not catch the time to finish all the docs.
I'll try to write something ASP and put it onto:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/

For now:

To be able to use the new load balancer manager for mod_jk you
will need to use the shared memory if using non-windows operating
system. Also the status worker will show and be able to manage
only load balancer workers and its members.

Inside your httpd.conf add the following directive to the rest
of mod_jk directives:

<IfModule mod_jk.c>
JkShmFile logs/mod_jk.shm
</IfModule>
<Location /jkstatus/>
     JkMount status
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Location>

Inside your workers.properties you will need to add the
status worker. The status worker needs to be present inside
worker.list, like any other worker that has uri mapping.

# workers.properties
worker.list=status,...
worker.status.type=status
# You can add your own custom .css
# Uncoment and use the apache manual stylesheet
# worker.status.css=/manual/style/css/manual.css

Now open your browser to the localhost/jkstatus/ and
enjoy :).

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Chris Egolf <ce...@ugholf.net>.
Lionel Farbos wrote:
> - I've not found any documentation on the status worker (and web
> page) and the ability to reload jk configuration without a reload of
> apache. Can you tell me more about these new features (or give me a
> link I missed) ?

I second this request.

Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
Hi Mladen,

Thank you for this release.

Some questions :
- Why don't you provide any more a binary release for linux (since 1.2.6) ?
- I've not found any documentation on the status worker (and web page) and the ability to reload jk configuration without a reload of apache. Can you tell me more about these new features (or give me a link I missed) ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.