Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/04/18 15:18:53 UTC

Preparing Fortress for Release

For the most part, Fortress is pretty much done.  I know there
is some concern about the meta information model for Fortress,
but I think we can resolve that quickly and easily.

Fortress respects the known contracts (to the best of my knowledge)
for the following tags:

@avalon.component
@avalon.service type="Type"

As well as the extension tags:

@x-avalon.lifestyle type="singleton"
@x-avalon.info name="config-name"

It also supports a couple fortress specific tags:

@fortress.name config-name
@fortress.handler org.apache.avalon.fortress.impl.handler.MyNewHandler

These are used in case the x-avalon ones cannot be possibly
respected.  I think we are ok with those though.  Also the
handler is there in case we want to experiment with a new Lifecycle
handler.

There are two known limitations:

Fortress has a global namespace, so @avalon.dependency is not
used.

Fortress components must only have one @avalon.service definition,
because of the ECM limitations of only one work interface per component.

I believe I can break Fortress from this limitation without breaking
the RoleManager.  I believe I can get this done today.

Are there any other issues that need to be worked out?

-----Chris Rock

Re: Preparing Fortress for Release

Posted by "Joerg R. Schaible" <jo...@web.de>.
Hi Berin,

Berin Loritsch wrote:
[snip]
> Are there any other issues that need to be worked out?

Yes. Still waiting for my patch to be integrated fully:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@avalon.apache.org/msg00604.html

Regards,
J�rg

Re: Preparing Fortress for Release

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> For the most part, Fortress is pretty much done.  I know there
> is some concern about the meta information model for Fortress,
> but I think we can resolve that quickly and easily.

I went over those. Its good to go imho. Not like this is actual rocket
science :D

> Are there any other issues that need to be worked out?

besides the usual "could do with more docs, could do with more tests,
could do with more", none that I'm aware of.

cheers,

- Leo