Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Adam Roberts <AR...@uk.ibm.com> on 2016/09/01 14:25:56 UTC

Re: Hi, guys, does anyone use Spark in finance market?

Hi, yes, there's definitely a market for Apache Spark and financial
institutions, I can't provide specific details but to answer your survey:
"yes" and "more than a few GB!"

Here are a couple of examples showing Spark with financial data, full
disclosure that I work for IBM, I'm sure there are lots more examples you
can find too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWBNoIwGEjo shows how Spark can be used
with simple sentiment analysis to figure out correlations between real
world events and stock market changes. The Spark specific part is from 3
04 until the 8th minute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmWcuO5Rk8 is a similar example where
Spark is again used with sentiment analysis. One could also analyse
financial data to identify trends, I think a lot of the machine learning
APIs will be useful here e.g. logistic regression with many features could
be used to decide whether or not an investment is a good idea based on
training data (so we'd look at real outcomes from previous speculations)

In both cases you can see Spark is a very important component for
performing the calculations with financial data.

I also know that Goldman Sachs mentioned they are interested in Spark, one
talk is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWwAoTK2YrQ, so this is more
evidence of the financial industries paying attention to big data and
Spark.

Regarding your app: I expected it to be similar to the first example where
the signals you mention are real world events (e.g. the fed lowers
interest rates or companies are rumoured to either be about to float or be
acquired).

At the 4 30 part I think you actually identify previous index values and
extrapolate what they are likely to become using, so in theory your system
would become more accurate over time although would going off indexes
alone be sufficient (if indeed this is what you're doing).

I think you'd want to combine this with real world speculation/news to
figure out *why* the price is likely to change, how much by and in which
direction.

I agree that Apache Spark can be just the right tool for doing the heavy
lifting required for analysis, computation and modelling of big data so
looking forward to future Spark work in this area, and I wonder how we as
Spark developers can make it easier/more powerful for Spark users to do so

From:   "Taotao.Li" <ch...@gmail.com>
To:     user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   30/08/2016 14:14
Subject:        Hi, guys, does anyone use Spark in finance market?

Hi, guys,

     I'm a quant engineer in China, and I believe it's very promising when
using Spark in the financial market. But I didn't find cases which combine
spark and finance.

    So here I wanna do a small survey:

do you guys use Spark in financial market related project?
if yes, how large data was fed in your spark application?

     thanks a lot.

___________________​
​A little ad, I attended IBM Spark Hackathon, which is here :
http://apachespark.devpost.com/ , and I submitted a small application,
which will be used in my strategies, hope you guys and give me a vote and
some suggestions on how to use spark in financial market, to discover some
trade opportunity.

here is my small app:
http://devpost.com/software/spark-in-finance-quantitative-investing

thanks a lot.​

--
___________________
Quant | Engineer | Boy

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Hi, guys, does anyone use Spark in finance market?

Posted by "Taotao.Li" <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Mich, thanks for your detailed reply, that system seems interesting,
I'll take a deep look on it, great thanks again.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:54 AM, Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> ------------------------------
>>

>> Hi, guys,
>>
>>      I'm a quant engineer in China, and I believe it's very promising
>> when using Spark in the financial market. But I didn't find cases which
>> combine spark and finance.
>>
>>     So here I wanna do a small survey:
>>
>>    - do you guys use Spark in financial market related project?
>>    - if yes, how large data was fed in your spark application?
>>

>>      thanks a lot.
>>
>> *___________________**​*
>> ​A little ad, I attended IBM Spark Hackathon, which is here :
>> *http://apachespark.devpost.com/* <http://apachespark.devpost.com/> ,
>> and I submitted a small application, which will be used in my strategies,
>> hope you guys and give me a vote and some suggestions on how to use spark
>> in financial market, to discover some trade opportunity.

*___________________*
Quant | Engineer | Boy
*___________________*

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Taotao.Li" <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Adam, great thanks for your detailed reply, the three videos are
very referential for me. Actually, the App submitted to IBM Spark Contest
is a very small demo, I'll do much more work to enhance that model, and
recently we just started a new project which aims to building a platform
that makes it possible and easy for Chinese financial institutions to
analysis high-frequency market data, which will be ~30G one day.

great thanks again,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Adam Roberts <AR...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ------------------------------
>

> Hi, guys,
>
>      I'm a quant engineer in China, and I believe it's very promising when
> using Spark in the financial market. But I didn't find cases which combine
> spark and finance.
>
>     So here I wanna do a small survey:
>
>    - do you guys use Spark in financial market related project?
>    - if yes, how large data was fed in your spark application?
>

>      thanks a lot.

> ​A little ad, I attended IBM Spark Hackathon, which is here :
> *http://apachespark.devpost.com/* <http://apachespark.devpost.com/> , and
> I submitted a small application, which will be used in my strategies, hope
> you guys and give me a vote and some suggestions on how to use spark in
> financial market, to discover some trade opportunity.

Quant | Engineer | Boy