Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Vrinda <vr...@in.bosch.com> on 2018/11/12 11:22:33 UTC

[allura:tickets] #8262 System configuration for production environment

---

** [tickets:#8262] System configuration for production environment**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Created:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC by Vrinda
**Last Updated:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I am setting up a production server to host Allura platform.

So I have some general questions before I start:
1. What is the expected system requirement/configuration for a production server to host Allura?
2. Are there any specific configurations that I need to do in Allura to get a good performance when the load is high (for >100 users)?
3. Any other points that I need to be aware about?

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/

[allura:tickets] Re: #8262 System configuration for production environment

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Yep, activitystream and ming entries in the .ini file are the only settings you need to change for it.

Depending on your network/firewall setup, make sure that your mongodb server is not accessible to the outside world.

---

** [tickets:#8262] System configuration for production environment**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Created:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC by Vrinda
**Last Updated:** Wed Nov 14, 2018 06:34 PM UTC

Posted by Vrinda <vr...@in.bosch.com>.
Thank you very much Dave :)
I'll start with splitting MongoDB from the Allura server.

I looked around to find how I can set up MongoDB on a separate server and make it accessible from Allura server.

One hint that I got to make the MongoDB server accessible from  Allura server is to change the bind_ip configuration in /etc/mongod.conf to point to 0.0.0.0 so as to allow any IP to access it
Is this all I have to do on the MongoDB server?

And in Allura's development.ini, change:
activitystream.master = mongodb://<MongoDB server's IP>:27017
and ming configurations to point to the MongoDB server.
Anything else that I need to change in Allura configurations?

---

** [tickets:#8262] System configuration for production environment**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Created:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC by Vrinda
**Last Updated:** Tue Nov 13, 2018 03:26 PM UTC

Posted by Vrinda <vr...@in.bosch.com>.
I sometimes see INFO messages 'Handling signal: winch' in the gunicorn terminal after which the application no longer responds. Why does this happen?

---

** [tickets:#8262] System configuration for production environment**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Created:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC by Vrinda
**Last Updated:** Thu Nov 15, 2018 03:28 PM UTC

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Hi Vrinda,

The overall system requirements depend largely on how much traffic and how much data (repos, tickets, etc) will be in the system.

* MongoDB - I would recommend having MongoDB on a separate server (and potentially as a replica set, for failover).
* Web service - See for recommendations about the webserver: https://forge-allura.apache.org/docs/getting_started/installation.html#production-quality-web-server  If you need to scale up further, you can have multiple servers running the allura web services, with a load balancer in front.
* Solr - You can also have the solr server separate, and multiple of them if you want.
* Taskd - You should run multiple taskd processes.  They can be all on their own server, or multiple servers, or shared with another server if there is enough ram/cpu for it.

To configure Allura for good performance, see [production-docker-example.ini](https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/git/ci/master/tree/Allura/production-docker-example.ini).  It is good to look through all of it, but lines 75-79 are particularly important for performance.

-Dave

---

** [tickets:#8262] System configuration for production environment**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Created:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 AM UTC by Vrinda
**Last Updated:** Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 AM UTC