Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net> on 2005/07/18 02:57:52 UTC

Re: svn commit: r219372 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h modules/proxy/mod_proxy.c modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:12 AM 7/17/2005, ianh@apache.org wrote:
>
>>Author: ianh
>>Date: Sat Jul 16 22:12:10 2005
>>New Revision: 219372

>>Log:
>>This patch adds a new hook (request_status) that gets ran in proxy_handler
>>just before the final return.  This gives modules an opportunity to do
>>something based on the proxy status.
>>[...]
>>new hook -- so mmn bump.. i made it a major one, hope thats ok
>

> We only bump major when we -change- an existing API or drop an
> API which is no longer supported.  E.g. anyone using the old
> major might have been using something we no longer provide.

ok..
I'll go fix the structure.
I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 07:57 PM 7/17/2005, Ian Holsman wrote:

>ok..
>I'll go fix the structure.
>I wasn't sure what the difference was.
>>A new structure member (at the end of an httpd-allocated structure)
>>or new function are minor bumps; which this patch falls under.
>>The user updating should not need to update their module, because
>>the expectations when such modules were built have not changed.

I should have pointed out that if the sizeof() is well known,
and we know of/expect developers to allocate it for themselves,
then we would have to have a major bump; as long as httpd has
an allocator for the structure (which observes the now-current
sizeof()) then we are fine :)

This really makes me pause and consider; we really need an accessor
to define the version/length of specific apache defined structures;
low-level modules can check if they need to know they are compatible.

Good change for Apache 2.2's API?

Bill