Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/09 22:39:07 UTC

OFBiz Premier League – Reviewers Choice Award

Hi Everyone

(I'm posting this on both user and dev lists).

The Hotwax Systems teams desperately need your help! Why? Because their
OFBiz Premier League (OPL) competition ended this month. Details can be
found at http://opl.ofbiz.us/)

Six teams were competing for points to improve OFBiz by contributing
ideas, code, documentation, developments and bug fixes. On 5th November
2016 - the 6 month time period ended and now feedback from all the OFBiz
Community is needed to choose the team that will receive the 'Reviewers
Choice Award'. (Note: The Reviewers are the OFBiz Community :-) )

The 6 teams were :

  *

    Team-1 - MV Controller

  *

    Team-2 - OFBiz Fanatics

  *

    Team-3 - OFgrammers

  *

    Team-4 - OS Biz Contributor

  *

    Team-5 - OS Code Breakers

  *

    Team-6 - SO Architects

Each team has prepared a report with details of the contributions made
over the last 6 months. These reports can be found at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxupAk96lggNTm0zT3A2alNRY1k

Please take a look at the reports and then assign your rating score for
each team. (I've taken a quick preview of the reports already and it's
going to be a tough decision!). All the scores will be totalled and the
winning team will be the one with the most points. The scores and winner
will be announced on the OFBiz mailing lists.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: All the Hotwax team members who are involved with any
of the OPL teams _*will not*_ participate in the rating or scoring of
any of the teams.

_*Rate The Teams*_

To rate the teams I've setup a short survey (see link) with the name of
each team and a sliding scale that you can rate them and their work from
1 (Poor) to 10 (Excellent).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RXW7KVC

Anyone from the OFBiz Community can participate in the rating the OPL
teams. The survey will be open for the next 7 days and will close on
17^th November 2016. The scores will be totalled and hopefully we'll
find out which team has won the award.

Good luck to all the teams and thanks for all the OFBiz contributions
that have been made.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: OFBiz Premier League – Reviewers Choice Award

Posted by th...@gmail.com.
+n :)

Viet Nguyen

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Taher,

That's really a shame. Just as you were typing this, I was going to
contribute all of our work.

But I guess that's fine - the change to gradle was something a lot of people
were really yearning for ;)

Re: OFBiz Premier League – Reviewers Choice Award

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
I was curious about all the progress Taher has been talking about, so I
downloaded all releases from the website and ran a comparison of all the
noticeable changes. For comparison I took a look at the catalog manager, so
that I could sense the progress made.

Here's the result:

- Release 4 does not run (StringIndexOutOfBoundsException)
- Release 09.04 does not compile (incompatible types)
- Release 11.04.06 does not compile (org.ofbiz.widget.ContentWorkerInterface
not found)
- Release 12.04 - 16.11 run

After taking a few screenshots, I made a fancy comparison chart (actual
screenshots shown):

<http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/file/n4699699/ofbiz.jpg>

Hi-Res versions of the screenshots available on request.

The biggest change from running the systems must be gradle - which changes
the syntax significantly, the load order and general structure was kept the
same, however.

Cheers

P.S.: Curiously, apache 4 did run in parts, though the error would lead to
partial-renders of the screen. If interested, I can share the result here,
too

Re: OFBiz Premier League – Reviewers Choice Award

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Talking in passive voice to say your work is not recognized is ungrounded.
Also saying a product requires continuity implies that OFBiz is not so
which is false. OFBiz is witnessing massive changes lately which is an
indicator of a healthy and vibrant community. In this ML I am interested in
hearing about OFBiz, not your fork, I don't care for it nor do I find it
interesting on a technical level.

I recommend ignoring this discussion as it smells like trolling to me.
Let's continue with the great work that's happening.

Again I reiterate my gratitude to the folks at hotwax for the fantastic
work they've done lately and real value added with the surge of commits to
the code base. Thank you all.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Paul,

the Hotwax team has spent a lot of effort over a long period of time and
contributes a lot. I cannot see much promotion from them in the official
mailing lists but even if there was some, it would be well deserved. I
really appreciate the work and contributions they do, and they do it in
an unpretentious and friendly way.

I find it disturbing that you are attacking them and Sharan in this way
and blaming them to be dishonest is insulting.

The only one that I am aware of doing open promotion for himself seems
to be yourself by answering questions in the mailing lists by only
pointing to your OFBiz fork instead of giving a helping answer. Even in
the below post you spent one of three paragraphs promoting your solution
and explaining that the community is not able to deliver a proper
solution so you had to do it.

And, by the way, what prevents you from contributing your work to OFBiz
to make it up to standards?

In my opinion, that comes much closer to dishonesty.

Regards,

Michael

PS: For the record: I am not endorsed by or affiliated with HotWax in
any way.

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
As an afterthought:

The domain ofbiz.us is owned by Hotwax, too. It also uses the logo as part
of the branding, despite focussing on hotwax services. I am not sure how I
feel about a company taking claim over the apache brand, nor would I know if
that's legally possible. But it doesn't scream "honesty" either.

Re: OFBiz Premier League – Reviewers Choice Award

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
What's your point?

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
I guess it all depends on how cynical you want to be.  I wasn't very
involved with the effort but my understanding was that it was an attempt to
get HotWax devs more involved in the open source project and interacting
with the community more.  The community days have been occurring a lot
longer than the duration of this OPL event, but I guess some people
wouldn't know that, because it isn't about promotion.  OPL was just
something fun to add some competitive spirit to the existing community days.

I don't really see how it was promotional for HotWax, I'm struggling to
find much promotion of the effort in the dev list other than this thread,
all other threads I could find just referenced "community day" and no
mention of the company.  Given the hundreds (or thousands?) of hours of
work contributed to the effort, I don't really see how this could be some
masterful ploy to promote the company, the project is the only winner here.

The devs involved that I've met really care about OFBiz and I'm sure it is
disheartening for them to read the negative emails in this thread.  The
amount of work contributed was significant and they should be proud of what
they accomplished.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul

I know that based on the information you've found that you seem to be a little sceptical that it was open to non Hotwax teams but I know that the invitation definitely was made, so this is not an attempt to mislead the community.

Looking through the mailing list archive I couldn't find anything so I suspect that it was done via the HipChat channel around the time that the league was started.

It's up to you to decide what you think is the truth. If you believe me then that's fine and if you don't believe me, then that's fine too.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott

No problem - with Apachecon and our OFBiz track this week, it is
probably a good idea to extend it so let's make it the 22nd November
instead.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Sharan,

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Sharan,

Thanks for what you are doing for the OFBiz community and the ASF at large :)

I now understand the cross posting.

I tried to review all commits (simple ones cursorily) of the OPL effort (but could not during the last weekend), that's maybe why I thought it was
"clearly technical".

After this work, I must say I did not had the courage to read all the reports after seeing the 1st one was already 28 pages. Now that I read it again
and see that others are shorter, I'll maybe have another look...

I understand giving an opinion based on these reports is not of a crucial importance, but I still believe it's hard to sincerely rate the teams based
only on these reports.

Thanks for clarifying, I already knew it was a volunteer effort, which makes it even more impressive.

Congrats to all the participants, the amount of work which has been done is amazing and benefits to all the community!

Jacques

Le 15/11/2016 � 23:45, Sharan Foga a �crit :

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Divesh, Sharan, Pierre,