Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Noah Davis <no...@nyc.rr.com> on 2002/10/13 19:03:47 UTC

advice on extending the Input tags

Hi -

Recently I embarked to extend the Input tags and came across a couple snags. My goal was to leave the source code to the input tags untouched, so that I could simply replace that jar on input tag new releases. The snags were simple, and all have to do with package visibility, and was wondering if this visibility was purposeful. If so, I can live with the (literally 4 or so) lines of additional code I had to add, but if the changes could be incorporated or someone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Using my own package name for these extended tags, I cannot access any of the attributes of these tags (there are no public getters - specifically, I need the value of the "name" attribute), nor make use of the "Util" class (less of a big deal, but would be nice - the printAttributes method is useful). That's it.

I am willing to contribute these tags to the open source community, but I'm not entirely sure people would find them useful and they also compromise the simplicity of the input tag library which is one of its greatest strengths. Thanks for any help and I appreciate the hard work everyone's doing.

Noah

RE: advice on extending the Input tags

Posted by Karl von Randow <ka...@cactuslab.com>.
Hi Noah,

Sorry for the slow (!) reply. I'd say making the Util class public may
be a bit much - it's something that has the potential to change
reasonably dynamically I'd imagine. Is there something you need in
there?

Cheers,
k@rl

Posted by Noah Davis <no...@nyc.rr.com>.