Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2009/09/22 00:25:08 UTC

[vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Hi all,

I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
available here:

http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/

It specifically fixes this, a showstopper for httpd:

  *) Fix error handling in the Solaris pollset support (Event Port backend).
     PR 47645.  [Jeff Trawick]

Votes open for 48 hours or until we register sufficient
+1's for release.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
> Votes open for 48 hours...

+1

'make check' clean on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit using both GCC 4.3.1 and
Intel 10.1 compilers.

- Rhys

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 02:08 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I thought it was, but no - it is now.

Thanks!

--
Bojan

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
Graham,

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
> available here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/

+1: OpenSolaris (SunCC and gcc), macosx (gcc).

--
Nick Kew

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 22.09.2009 00:25, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
> available here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/
>
> It specifically fixes this, a showstopper for httpd:
>
>   *) Fix error handling in the Solaris pollset support (Event Port backend).
>      PR 47645.  [Jeff Trawick]
>
> Votes open for 48 hours or until we register sufficient
> +1's for release.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

+1 (nb)

sigs good, md5 right, though not easy to check (gpg format instead of
md5sum format).

Tarballs fine, build and test OK.

Tested on Solaris 8+10, SLES 10 32 and 64Bit, RHEL 5.3 64Bit, all with gcc.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 09/22/2009 12:25 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
> available here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/
>
> It specifically fixes this, a showstopper for httpd:
>
>   *) Fix error handling in the Solaris pollset support (Event Port backend).
>      PR 47645.  [Jeff Trawick]
>
> Votes open for 48 hours or until we register sufficient
> +1's for release.

+1.

Tested passing all tests (all gcc) on

Solaris 8, 9, 10 (SPARC)
RHEL4, RHEL 5 32 / 64 Bit
Opensuse 10.2 32 Bit
Opensuse 11.1 64 Bit

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
> Votes open for 48 hours or until we register sufficient
> +1's for release.

Compiles ok with SunCC on Solaris9/Sparc and Solaris10/X86. I get one IPv6
related test failure in testsockets, but that is not a regression (happens
with 1.3.8, too) and could be due to the way my test machines are set up.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Paul Querna wrote:

>> Commit these tomorrow, an hour before you want to announce on dev@.
>
> for apr announce to:
> dev@apr.apache.org
> announce@apache.org
>
> for httpd announce to:
> dev@httpd.apache.org
> announce@httpd.apache.org
> announce@apache.org

Will do.

Can someone check over the proposed announcement at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/trunk/dist/Announcement1.3.txt,
just to make sure I didn't miss anything important?

Regards,
Graham

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> Based on past commits, the files to change are as follows, is this correct?
> Yes...
>
>> M      dist/Announcement1.3.html
>> M      dist/README.html
>> M      dist/Announcement1.3.txt
>> M      dist/HEADER.html
>
> commit these now, then in /www/www.apache.org/dist/apr/ do an svn up.

Done.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>> Please wait another 24 hours with the announcement, but put the
>> release in the dist dir shortly. This gives the mirrors time to catch up
>> until you announce.
>
> The new release is in the dist directory now, will make the announcement
> tomorrow night.
>
> Based on past commits, the files to change are as follows, is this correct?
Yes...

> M      dist/Announcement1.3.html
> M      dist/README.html
> M      dist/Announcement1.3.txt
> M      dist/HEADER.html

commit these now, then in /www/www.apache.org/dist/apr/ do an svn up.

> 87-194-125-14:apr-site-trunk minfrin$ svn status
> M      xdocs/download.xml
> M      xdocs/index.xml
> M      docs/index.html
> M      docs/download.html
> M      doap.rdf

Commit these tomorrow, an hour before you want to announce on dev@.

Bill

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> +1
>>> (Mac OS X 10.5.8 on x86, 32-bit testing only, OpenSolaris 2009.06 +
>>> SunStudio on x86, 32-bit and 64-bit testing)
>>>
>>> I get a crash in testhash with the 64-bit OpenSolaris build, but that
>>> happens with 1.3.8 as well :(
>>>

>> In case somebody wonders:
>>
>> t@1 (l@1) program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault
>> address)
>> Current function is apr_vformatter
>>   954                   s = va_arg(ap, char *);
>>

> To this very naive observer, it looks like a compiler bug (Sun Studio 12
> Update 1).  Some overflow area processing has been triggered since we've
> gone beyond 0x30 bytes of arguments.  The address into the overflow area
> gets whacked at the 32-bit mark and va_arg() dies trying to use it.

In case anybody sees this post and wonders if they should be worried:

As far as I can tell, it occurs only with "-O0", as in "cc -m64 -O0 -g
foo.c" so other people aren't likely to encounter it.  I've only tested on
x86.

A simple non-APR testcase is

#include <stdarg.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

static void local_vformatter(char *buf, size_t len,
                             const char *format, va_list ap)
{
    char *str;
    ssize_t bigval;

    str = va_arg(ap, char *);
    printf("arg %s\n", str);

    str = va_arg(ap, char *);
    printf("arg %s\n", str);

    bigval = va_arg(ap, /* ssize_t */  unsigned long);
    printf("arg %lld\n", bigval);

    str = va_arg(ap, char *);
    printf("arg %s\n", str);
}

static void local_snprintf(char *buf, size_t len,
                           const char *format, ...)
{
    va_list ap;

    va_start(ap, format);
    local_vformatter(buf, len, format, ap);
    va_end(ap);
}

int main(void)
{
    char buf[800];
    char *key, *val;
    ssize_t len;

    key = "KEY1";
    val = "VAL1";
    len = strlen(key);
    local_snprintf(buf, sizeof buf, "%sKey %s (%ld) Value %s\n",
                   "->",
                   key,
                   len,
                   val);

    /* printf(buf); */
}

No crash with Sun Studio 12 (no update) on Solaris 10 U5.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
>>> available here:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eminfrin/apr/>
>>>

>> +1
>> (Mac OS X 10.5.8 on x86, 32-bit testing only, OpenSolaris 2009.06 +
>> SunStudio on x86, 32-bit and 64-bit testing)
>>
>> I get a crash in testhash with the 64-bit OpenSolaris build, but that
>> happens with 1.3.8 as well :(
>>

> In case somebody wonders:
>
> t@1 (l@1) program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault
> address)
> Current function is apr_vformatter
>   954                   s = va_arg(ap, char *);

To this very naive observer, it looks like a compiler bug (Sun Studio 12
Update 1).  Some overflow area processing has been triggered since we've
gone beyond 0x30 bytes of arguments.  The address into the overflow area
gets whacked at the 32-bit mark and va_arg() dies trying to use it.

I'll try to get a simple testcase to the right people.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
>> available here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eminfrin/apr/>
>>

> +1
> (Mac OS X 10.5.8 on x86, 32-bit testing only, OpenSolaris 2009.06 +
> SunStudio on x86, 32-bit and 64-bit testing)
>
> I get a crash in testhash with the 64-bit OpenSolaris build, but that
> happens with 1.3.8 as well :(

In case somebody wonders:

t@1 (l@1) program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault
address)
Current function is apr_vformatter
  954                   s = va_arg(ap, char *);
(dbx) where
=>[1] apr_vformatter(flush_func = 0xfffffd7ff2ecf6dc =
&`libapr-1.so.0.3.9`apr_snprintf.c`snprintf_flush(apr_vformatter_buff_t
*vbuff), vbuff = 0xfffffd7fffdfea78, fmt = 0x445196 "s\n", ap =
0xfffffd7fffdfea88), line 954 in "apr_snprintf.c"
  [2] apr_snprintf(buf = 0xfffffd7fffdfec50 "Key FOO1 (4) Value
ÿ^?ýÿÿØ8^\ÿ^?ýÿÿ°îßÿ^?ýÿÿ¸îßÿ^?ýÿÿ íßÿ^?ýÿÿË^I<ÿ^?ýÿÿ", len = 256U, format =
0x445180 "%sKey %s (%ld) Value %s\n", ... = 0x430bb7, ...), line 1362 in
"apr_snprintf.c"
  [3] dump_hash(p = 0x4c3f18, h = 0x4c4d58, str = 0xfffffd7fffdfec50), line
43 in "testhash.c"
  [4] hash_traverse(tc = 0xfffffd7fffdff788, data = (nil)), line 213 in
"testhash.c"
  [5] abts_run_test(ts = 0x4baf30, f = 0x431908 =
&`testall`testhash.c`hash_traverse(abts_case *tc, void *data), value =
(nil)), line 168 in "abts.c"
  [6] testhash(suite = 0x4baf30), line 457 in "testhash.c"
  [7] main(argc = 3, argv = 0xfffffd7fffdff858), line 424 in "abts.c"

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com>.
Builds clean on OSX 10.6, but testfmt fails as I described earlier:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200909.mbox/<b4...@mail.gmail.com>

Neil

Re: [vote] release apr 1.3.9?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Graham Leggett wrote:

> I have rolled a candidate of apr v1.3.9 and propose it for release,
> available here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/apr/
>
> It specifically fixes this, a showstopper for httpd:
>
>   *) Fix error handling in the Solaris pollset support (Event Port backend).
>      PR 47645.  [Jeff Trawick]
>
> Votes open for 48 hours or until we register sufficient
> +1's for release.

Builds clean, all tests pass.

+1 on RHEL5, MacOSX v10.5.8, FC8.

Regards,