Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Wolfgang Paul Rauchholz <ra...@ipn-gmbh.de> on 2004/11/07 16:02:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Unable to connect to local MySQL server

A) I am runnning FC3 T3 on a DELL LATITUDE laptop D400 with. I am trying to
install a php-based application. I am not able to connect to the local MySQL
server. The error message from /var/log/httpd/error_log is:
[client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to loca MYSQL
server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' in
var/www/html/xrms/include/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 327

B) MySQL (version -4.17) and hhpd (2.052-2) are up and runnig. The php
installation is as follows:
php-odbc-4.3.9-2
php-4.3.9-2
php-jpgraph-1.15-1
php-ldap-4.3.9-2
php-pear-4.3.9-2
php-acid-0.9.6b23-7
php-adodb-4.52-0.fdr.1
php-mbstring-4.3.9-2
php-mysql-4.3.9-2
php-snmp-4.3.9-2
php-domxml-4.3.9-2

Is there anybody who has an idea what is wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help, Wolfgang

Re: [users@httpd] Unable to connect to local MySQL server

Posted by Wolfgang Paul Rauchholz <ra...@ipn-gmbh.de>.
I am pretty much a linux newbie and not IT export, so I hope the answers make
sense.

A) mysql.sock
The file exists: in /var/lib/mysql
srwxrwxrwx	1 mysql  mysql		0 Nov 7 17:03 mysql.sock
(is is correct that he size of he file is 0?)

B) The /etc/my.cnf includes
[client]
#password		= your_password
port				= 3306
socket			= /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port				= 3306
socket			= /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip_locking
max_allowd_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

C) I would guess the process fails when connecting to the server.
I can access with no problem to mysql with "mysql -u root -p". Also shutting
down and starting the server again is no problem.
But how can I find out whether it is while connecting or while authenticating?

The error occurs when I pont to the php file
(localhost/xrms/install/install.php. The command "localhost" shows me
correctl the Apache test page.

El Dom Noviembre 7 2004 16:30, Ralf Glauberman escribió:
> check your mysql-config, is mysql listening on this socket? does the socket
> exist? does it fail while connecting to the server, or while
> authenticating?

Reciba un cordial saludo,

IPN Spain

Wolfgang Paul Rauchholz