Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alexandre Feblot <al...@tiscali.fr> on 2006/02/27 19:30:57 UTC

Merge feature

Hi,

having used Clearcase for 5 years, and looking for a simple free SCM
tool, subversion seems great, and just lacks this merge issue to be
fixed.

I have a small remark about the graph of this page: http://
subversion.tigris.org/merge-tracking/func-spec.html

You say here that "A smarter system (like Clearcase) would remember
that the previous merge had happened, and ___specifically notice that
the lines "one" and "three" are the results of that previous merge___"

Are you sure that Clearcase remembers that a line comes from a
previous merge ???

I would have said that it just remembers which version has already
been merged, (if no merge has been done, it indeed considers the
version from which the branch has been created). Once it has
determined the "left", "right" and "mine" files, there are only 3
files to perform the merge, whatever has happened before.

Thus, in your example, it would know that only "two" -> "Two" must be
applied, but as the line "two" can't be found, the conflict would be
raised for the 2 line block "two-point-five\nnewline", i.e. keep both
lines, ot replace them by "Two".

Do you agree whit this ?

(I can't check what I say here, as I have no Clearcase access anymore).

-------------

Now, would you have a rough idea about when you are ready to deliver
this feature ? is it a matter of weeks, months, year ?

Thank's, a good luck.

Re: Merge feature

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Julian Foad wrote:
> Alexandre Feblot wrote:
>

>> having used Clearcase for 5 years, and looking for a simple free SCM
>> tool, subversion seems great, and just lacks this merge issue to be
>> fixed.
>
> [...]
>
>> Now, would you have a rough idea about when you are ready to deliver
>> this feature ? is it a matter of weeks, months, year ?
>

> This is likely to take a year or more, because the feature is not yet
> defined.  You might want to look at the system called SVK which is built
> on Subversion and includes a merge tracking feature.

And don't forget svnmerge.py:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Merge feature

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Alexandre Feblot wrote:

> having used Clearcase for 5 years, and looking for a simple free SCM
> tool, subversion seems great, and just lacks this merge issue to be  fixed.
[...]
> Now, would you have a rough idea about when you are ready to deliver
> this feature ? is it a matter of weeks, months, year ?

This is likely to take a year or more, because the feature is not yet defined.
  You might want to look at the system called SVK which is built on Subversion
and includes a merge tracking feature.

- Julian