Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Alexandros Kontogeorgos <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 21:06:27 UTC

deployment of mahout recommender as a web service

Hello all,

I have a huge problem concerning the deployment of a simple mahout
recommender as a web service on mahout version 0.9 so far. I've been
following Manning Mahout's guides so far but these seem to apply only to
mahout 0.5 versions and previous ones.

I have found a relative thread on this mailing list that concerns this
matter, but i do have very basic knowledge concerning web
services/maven/mahout and it has not helped me at all.

Maybe the answer was in front of me and i could not see it.

Is there any possibility i could find some step-by-step guidance online or
by someone with same problem as me?

Alexander

Re: deployment of mahout recommender as a web service

Posted by Alexandros Kontogeorgos <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your reply! I'll check it for now. But i really wonder.
Mahout is popular and there is no standar way of making a .war file out of
it?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandros Kontogeorgos <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello and thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure if this something i'm looking for because what i simply need
is a way to deploy my maven project into a ready to deploy .war file with
no further complexity.

To give you a clearer image, its just a small item-based recommender which
applies on a csv file that runs perfectly on my eclipse GUI, but i dont
know how to deploy it on tomcat server other than creating a .war file
 according to the guidance of Manning Mahout book.

This is for my diploma thesis which concern small synthetic-data i've
created so far

> Hi Alexandros.
>
> The current bigpetstore version in apache bigtop  features a distributed
> recommender that's is mahout  mapreduce based,  And is meant to serve as a
> template for Hadoop 2x  applications.
>
> If you want to try it you can run it's integration test easily and see if
> it works for you.
>
> https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-bigpetstore/README.md
>

> > On Sep 10, 2014, at 3:06 PM, Alexandros Kontogeorgos <
> alejandro.konto@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a huge problem concerning the deployment of a simple mahout
> > recommender as a web service on mahout version 0.9 so far. I've been
> > following Manning Mahout's guides so far but these seem to apply only to
> > mahout 0.5 versions and previous ones.
> >
> > I have found a relative thread on this mailing list that concerns this
> > matter, but i do have very basic knowledge concerning web
> > services/maven/mahout and it has not helped me at all.
> >
> > Maybe the answer was in front of me and i could not see it.
> >
> > Is there any possibility i could find some step-by-step guidance online
> or
> > by someone with same problem as me?
> >
> > Alexander

Re: deployment of mahout recommender as a web service

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.
Hi Alexandros.

The current bigpetstore version in apache bigtop  features a distributed recommender that's is mahout  mapreduce based,  And is meant to serve as a template for Hadoop 2x  applications.