Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au> on 2014/02/14 14:37:24 UTC

Initial setup problems with mod_perl2 - unable to locate modules

I know this may seem straight forward and a RTFM response may be in
order, but I have been trying to crack this for some days now (following
attempts on and off, too, mind) and nothing I can google seems to point
to an accurate answer on what the problem is here.

I'm running FreeBSD 9.x with Apache22, and installed mod_perl2 to try to
switch away from php based development based on current requirements.

I have tried using a startup.pl, but I would like to just use
PerlSwitches -I instead (which from what I read is possible); regardless
the issue remains the same.

I get a 500 response in the browser, and the logs have these errors:

"failed to resolve handler `Mod_home::Mod': Can't locate Mod_home/Mod.pm
in @INC"

and simply "failed to resolve handler" in the main server log.

My config looks like this:

<VirtualHost <IP>:<PORT>>
     ServerName <server>
     ServerAlias <server>
     ServerAdmin <hostmaster>
     ErrorLog "/var/log/apache/<VHOST>-error.log"
     CustomLog "/var/log/apache/<VHOST>-access.log" common
     PerlOptions +Parent
     PerlSwitches -I/usr/local/www/<VHOST>/lib
     PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload
     PerlModule Mod_home::Mod
     <Location /<VHOST>>
         SetHandler modperl
         PerlResponseHandler Mod_home::Mod
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Location>
</VirtualHost>

I also have PerlModule Apache2::Reload in the httpd.conf.

Just to reiterate - I have tried this both as vhosting and as single
server setup, and I cannot seem to resolve the same issue every single time.

Can someone please give the magical incantation to make this thing work?
:-) or at least point me in the right direction? I'm really starting to
lose patience with this thing, and I now have a deadline to sort this
out which is fast approaching.

Cheers

Re: Initial setup problems with mod_perl2 - unable to locate modules

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Da Rock wrote:

>>>     <Location /<VHOST>>
>>>         SetHandler modperl
>>>         PerlResponseHandler Mod_home::Mod
>>
>> These 2 lines above should be enough.
> Again as I thought. But if I may ask (for later configuration), how is
> access controlled? Using auth or access in the perl module rather than
> server acl's?

What I was showing off (granted, not entirely on-topic), with PerlAuthHandler and
PerlAuthzHandler and friends, is one *essential* capability of mod_perl, which is often
missed/ignored (at least by beginners) : the fact that mod_perl allows one to intervene
with appropriate mod_perl modules and call-backs, at just about every stage of Apache's
HTTP request processing (and even outside of that).

That includes the Access-control, Authentication and Authorization stages.
So you can entirely substitute Apache httpd's AAA code by your own mod_perl code, and
design any AAA mechanism you wish, easily (as compared to writing your own Apache add-on
modules in C e.g.). (Or interleave your own code with Apache httpd's, in just about any
way you can imagine).
So if you want or need for example to create a new HTTP authentication method which
depends on the phase of the Moon (instead of HTTP Basic or Digest or Windows Domain or
LDAP or database-based or server-ACL based), you can do so, very easily.

Mod_perl is much more than running perl cgi-bin scripts on steroids, or writing your own
response handlers.
It allows you to take Apache httpd as a base (and all the general HTTP plumbing it handles
for you reliably and fast), add mod_perl and perl, and add the CPAN library, and you get
an incredibly powerful and flexible mix.

That's the real beauty of it, which to my knowledge is not available with any other Apache
plugged-in language or module.

So please, do not get discouraged by a little bit of configuration trouble, or by an
occasional not entirely accurate error log message, because you would be missing a lot of
power and fun.

Also, the on-line mod_perl documentation (with warts and all), is still in my view one of
the best sources in terms of understanding how Apache httpd works, and even about HTTP in
general.

Re: Initial setup problems with mod_perl2 - unable to locate modules

Posted by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>.
On 02/15/14 02:00, André Warnier wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Da Rock wrote:
>> I know this may seem straight forward and a RTFM response may be in
>> order, but I have been trying to crack this for some days now
>> (following attempts on and off, too, mind) and nothing I can google
>> seems to point to an accurate answer on what the problem is here.
>>
>> I'm running FreeBSD 9.x with Apache22, and installed mod_perl2 to try
>> to switch away from php based development based on current requirements.
>>
>> I have tried using a startup.pl, but I would like to just use
>> PerlSwitches -I instead (which from what I read is possible);
>> regardless the issue remains the same.
>>
>> I get a 500 response in the browser, and the logs have these errors:
>>
>> "failed to resolve handler `Mod_home::Mod': Can't locate
>> Mod_home/Mod.pm in @INC"
>
> it should normally also show you what it finds in @INC.  What does it
> say ?
It shows the library path prepended to the list, so thats ok. One thing
that bothers me is that it only works with ' ' surrounding it either in
the startup.pl or the PerlSwitches directive. Note that both myself and
the documentation only use one or the other and not both at the same time.

(@INC contains: '/usr/local/www/<VHOST>/lib'
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.14/BSDPAN
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.14/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.14 . /usr/local) at (eval 5) line 2.\n

>> and simply "failed to resolve handler" in the main server log.
>>
>> My config looks like this:
>>
>> <VirtualHost <IP>:<PORT>>
>>     ServerName <server>
>>     ServerAlias <server>
>>     ServerAdmin <hostmaster>
>>     ErrorLog "/var/log/apache/<VHOST>-error.log"
>>     CustomLog "/var/log/apache/<VHOST>-access.log" common
>>     PerlOptions +Parent
>>     PerlSwitches -I/usr/local/www/<VHOST>/lib
>
> Can you show us the contents of that directory ?
# ls -R /usr/local/www/<VHOST>/lib/
Mod_home        startup.pl

/usr/local/www/<VHOST>/lib/Mod_home:
Mod.pm

>>     PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload
>>     PerlModule Mod_home::Mod
>
> I don't think that you need the above.
I didn't think so either; except maybe the Apache::Reload (which I'd
like to get working as well so I don't have to restart the server every
time I change the code - especially during dev).

>>     <Location /<VHOST>>
>>         SetHandler modperl
>>         PerlResponseHandler Mod_home::Mod
>
> These 2 lines above should be enough.
Again as I thought. But if I may ask (for later configuration), how is
access controlled? Using auth or access in the perl module rather than
server acl's?

>>         Order allow,deny
>>         Allow from all
>>     </Location>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> I also have PerlModule Apache2::Reload in the httpd.conf.
>>
>> Just to reiterate - I have tried this both as vhosting and as single
>> server setup, and I cannot seem to resolve the same issue every
>> single time.
>>
>> Can someone please give the magical incantation to make this thing
>> work? :-) or at least point me in the right direction? I'm really
>> starting to lose patience with this thing, and I now have a deadline
>> to sort this out which is fast approaching.
>>

> Yes, but that's not the fault of anyone who is trying to help you here.
> So be patient.
>
> I am doing things similar to what you are intenting to do, on many
> servers with VirtualHosts, and it works flawlessly.  So it /is/ a
> configuration matter, not something wrong with Apache/mod_perl in the
> first place.
That much I had assumed; especially considering I'm only trying to get
the tutorial working to begin with. Question is what configuration am I
missing? My thinking was its the @inc.

> The thing is, we don't see your system, so we depend on the accurate
> and complete information that you are providing us with.
>
> When you (re-)start your Apache server, it prints a statup line in the
> logs (error log).
> Can you show it here ?
> example :
> [Sun Feb 09 06:25:45 2014] [notice] Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
> mod_jk/1.2.30 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1 configured -- resuming
> normal operations
>
> and then give us the *full* message that appears in the log when it
> doesn't find your module.

Actually, I already did. This is all it says:

[notice] Apache/2.2.24 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.24 OpenSSL/0.9.8x DAV/2
PHP/5.4.23 mod_perl/2.0.8 Perl/v5.14.4 configured -- resuming normal
operations
failed to resolve handler Mod_home::Mod

I've checked all the paths as well, and it all seems well.

Re: Initial setup problems with mod_perl2 - unable to locate modules

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
André Warnier wrote:
> [...]
>>

> Yes, but that's not the fault of anyone who is trying to help you here.
> So be patient.
>
> I am doing things similar to what you are intenting to do, on many
> servers with VirtualHosts, and it works flawlessly.  So it /is/ a
> configuration matter, not something wrong with Apache/mod_perl in the
> first place.
>
> The thing is, we don't see your system, so we depend on the accurate and
> complete information that you are providing us with.
>
> When you (re-)start your Apache server, it prints a statup line in the
> logs (error log).
> Can you show it here ?
> example :
> [Sun Feb 09 06:25:45 2014] [notice] Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) mod_jk/1.2.30
> mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1 configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> and then give us the *full* message that appears in the log when it

Example of a configuration which works (Linux Debian, Apache 2.2, mod_perl 2.0) :

1) Apache config, "main" server :
LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_perl.so
PerlSetEnv TMPDIR "/tmp"
PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
PerlRequire "/etc/apache2/modperl2_startup.pl"
SetEnv PERL5LIB "/somepath/lib" # one way of setting the modules lookup path

and in modperl2_startup.pl :

#!/usr/bin/perl
# modperl2_startup.pl
# Apache2 / mod_perl 2 startup script
   use Bundle::Apache2 ();
   use lib "/somepath/lib"; # another way of setting the modules lookup path
# preload often-used modules, YMMV
   use ModPerl::Util ();
   use Apache2::RequestRec ();
   use Apache2::RequestIO ();
   use Apache2::RequestUtil ();
   use Apache2::Filter ();
   use Apache2::ServerUtil ();
   use Apache2::Connection ();
   use Apache2::Log ();
   use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(:common :log REDIRECT);
   use APR::Const -compile => ':common';
   use APR::Table ();
   use ModPerl::Registry ();
   use CGI ();
   CGI->compile(':all');
   1;

2) in VHost config :

	PerlSetVar Var1 "Value1"
	PerlSetVar Var2 "Value2"

	<Directory /var/www/<vhost>/docs>
..
		AuthType AUTH::StarLogCookie
		AuthName XXXtop
		PerlAuthenhandler AUTH::StarLogCookie->authenticate
		PerlAuthzHandler AUTH::StarLogCookie->authorize
		require valid-user
..
	</Directory>

That was just to show off that you can do all kinds of things with mod_perl.
But here is something closer to your wishes :

         <Location /getobj>
             SetHandler modperl
	    PerlSetVar Var1 "Valuex" # overrides the general one above
	    PerlSetVar Var3 "Value3"
             PerlResponseHandler My::Module     # or My::Module->handler, it depends
        </Location>

and in /something/lib/, there is :

- My
    |- Module.pm

and Module.pm has a

sub handler() {

}

So you do not need to specifically "load" My::Module in advance.
The PerlResponseHandler should be enough.

Re: Initial setup problems with mod_perl2 - unable to locate modules

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>.
On 02/15/14 08:45, John Dunlap wrote:
> Well, if I were in your position, I would follow the tutorial to the
> letter as a step in my troubleshooting. My reason for saying this
> isn't that I doubt your coding prowess but rather that you need to
> determine if the problem is with your code or with your installation
> of mod_perl/apache. As the tutorial is known to work correctly,
> whether or not it works is an important litmus test.

Hah! Ill own that I have no prowess, I'm still somewhat a beginner at
coding and still learning the nuances of perl. My only reasoning is that
rose by any other name should still work as well.

Actually, I feel a bit of a goose really. I did try using the tut's
naming and got it working, but what stunned me was why it would make
such a huge difference because I wrote it out pretty much word for word.
So I went over it all again. The lib homes were exactly the same (-I
that is), so the error was a wild goose chase. I went over the code
again and the only diff was 'handler' typed in as 'Handler' - my coding
typos again!

So my only beef here really is that the error message was enough to send
anyone completely around the bend; it was not really indicative of the
real error. When the logs says it can't find a file, then you go looking
at that side of things, not really a code error. You'd expect it to
indicate an error in the code for a code problem. So, why the bum steer?

But I have learnt quite a bit through this process of how to configure
mod_perl. Just didn't have much fun trying to troubleshoot :)

Thanks for your help guys.

Posted by John Dunlap <jo...@lariat.co>.

Posted by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>.

Posted by John Dunlap <jo...@lariat.co>.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Da Rock <mod_perl@herveybayaustralia.com.au

Posted by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>.

Posted by David Booth <da...@dbooth.org>.

Posted by Da Rock <mo...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>.

Posted by John Dunlap <jo...@lariat.co>.
Do you have a use lib 'PATH'; at the top of your startup.pl? This is
typically how your module is added to the perl include path