Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/09/07 02:38:42 UTC

Stable branch

Hiya,

I have made a branch with tag "RELEASE_402-branch" which is the "stable
branch". ie It is what we will use when we do the next release. To get that
source tree you need to add the "-r RELEASE_402-branch" to your cvs update or
cvs checkout commands.

I have updated the documentation, linked in Huws management docs and uploaded
to the website. I have also gone through and updated references to new DTD
locations as per thread on avalon-dev (ie move from /phoenix/*.dtd to
/avalon/dtds/phoenix/*.dtd).

If you need to fix a bug prior to release then do it against the branch and we
can merge it back into main tree post-release. If anyone wants to add some
more documentation then do it against the stable tree.

Anyways hopefully this will enable us to start applying some of Igors work in
main tree without effecting release schedule.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:14, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,

> >>Yup, I think we should omit for now.
> >
> >kool.
>
> OK, if a majority is in favor, i'll cut a 4.0 FCS release tomorrow.  I
> will include all kernel classes (wrapper and beanshell), but be shipped
> without the wrapper.exe and beanshell jar.  I'll anounce through usual
> channels and do so for the Logkit 1.1 release at the same time.

+1

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Sufficiently advanced science is
 indistinguishable from magic"
               -- Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Peter Royal wrote:

> On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 03:14  AM, Paul Hammant wrote:
>
>> OK, if a majority is in favor, i'll cut a 4.0 FCS release tomorrow.
>> I will include all kernel classes (wrapper and beanshell), but be
>> shipped without the wrapper.exe and beanshell jar.  I'll anounce
>> through usual channels and do so for the Logkit 1.1 release at the
>> same time.
>

> +1
> -pete (hiding out in the shadows, it has been very very very very busy
> at work the past few weeks)

I like the idea of shipping with wrapper.conf and DaemonLauncher.class
included.   It would not really
affect the size of the release.  But enabling the wrapper by users would
simply be a matter of dropping
in the Wrapper.exe / wrapper and Wrapper.dll / libwrapper.so binaries as
well as the wrapper.jar.  It
would not require Phoenix to be rebuilt this way.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks,

>>>But you would need to check that. Anyways your call if we include it or
>>>not. We can always release a wrapper enabled version in a week or two if
>>>needed.
>>>

>>Yup, I think we should omit for now.
>>

>kool.

OK, if a majority is in favor, i'll cut a 4.0 FCS release tomorrow.  I
will include all kernel classes (wrapper and beanshell), but be shipped
without the wrapper.exe and beanshell jar.  I'll anounce through usual
channels and do so for the Logkit 1.1 release at the same time.

- Paul

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Paul,

I was a little unclear in my last message, apologies.

The command "wrapper -c ..\conf\wrapper.conf
wrapper.java.command=shutdown" will start up a new wrapper.exe using the
conf file "wrapper.conf". As the port 15012, configured in wrapper.conf,
that the wrapper connects to is already in use it tries the next one
(15013). This will work...

Then by giving the argument "wrapper.java.command=shutdown" you
substituted the pre configured property "wrapper.java.command=java" in
wrapper.conf.

This means that you triggered a call "shutdown" with all the params for
the JVM.

I will let you concentrate on the release now. Good luck! It's good stuff.

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Nahh, the shutdown thing works as I tried to use it except for a single
> fact - the wrapper exe could not bind to the port in use :
>
>    "port 15012 already in use, using port 15013 instead. "

I might be mistaken, but aren't you just trying to start another phoenix
with this command? The wrapper.java.command=something will excecute a
sys command.

Try Wrapper.exe -c ..\conf\wrapper.conf wrapper.java.command=notepad

but be warned... it should open up a whole lot of notpads!

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Johan

>>> Also, trying to cause the shutdown of the working wrapper with ' wrapper
>>> -c ..\conf\wrapper.conf wrapper.java.command=shutdown' proves less that
>>> fruitfull as the wrapper claims :
>>>
>>>  C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>
>>>  C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>wrapper -c ..\con
>>>  wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
>>>  wrapperp | port 15012 already in use, using port 15013 instead.
>>>  wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
>>>  wrapper  | can not execute ""shutdown" -Djava.ext.dirs=../lib -Dph
>>>  META-INF/java.policy -Djava.security.manager -Xms16m -Xmx64m -Djav
>>>  wrapper.key="iUV6mSMAxfVobB87" -Dwrapper.port=15013 -Dwrapper.jvmi
>>>  wrapper  | Critical error: wait for JVM process failed
>>>
>>> I think we have some polishing to do.
>>

> Paul, I didn't know about this feature and I think you used it
> incorrectly. On production systems the wrapper is probaly always run
> as a service. If I test an application in the console I just shut it
> down by pressing Ctrl-C.

I guess.  If you just invoke wrapper it offers these suggestions :

  Usage:
    wrapper <command> <config file> [config properties] [...]
  where <command> canbe one of:
    -c   run as a console application
    -i   install as an NT service
    -r   remove as an NT service
    -?   print this help message
  <config file> is the wrapper.conf to use
  [config properties] are configuration name-value pairs which override
values
    in wrapper.conf.  For example:
    wrapper.debug=true

It was the -c option I was using.

> It gets funnier still ...
>
> The "wrapper.java.command=shutdown" command probably didn't work for
> you as you don't have a shutdown.exe excecutable in you system, lucky
> you... I run XP that has a C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe and yes it
> got triggered... MAN!!! It must be my lucky day though that
> shutdown.exe doesn't work without some arguments. My hart stood still
> for some seconds though as I had quite a few unsaved files. ;) ;)

Nahh, the shutdown thing works as I tried to use it except for a single
fact - the wrapper exe could not bind to the port in use :

    "port 15012 already in use, using port 15013 instead. "

> Install it as a service and stop it with net stop phoenix as Peter sed.

Agree that this will work.  We shoudl try to prioduce documentation for
-c as well though.

- Paul

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Peter Donald wrote:
> Fixed this. The dumpStakc() looks like it was in there for debuggin purposes.

Good! I was able to reprodice this aswell.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> <snip/>
>> But you would need to check that. Anyways your call if we include it
>> or not. We can always release a wrapper enabled version in a week or
>> two if needed.
>>
> Yup, I think we should omit for now.

I agree, but because the idea came in too close to the release not
because of the console (-c) stuff.

> There is time to polish a wrapper release for 4.1.  From what I could
> see the docs need updating (the administrator should install, then net
> start etc).  We also know the docs need working on.  Personally, I need
> to see Phoenix released as is, with a promise of improvements rather
> than languishing as beta while those improvements are happered in. :-)

I fully agree. I didn't check the documents but a feature without the
right documents doesn't do much.

> It will also give Stephen something to chalk down as a compatability
> target.

Hmm.

//

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:02, Paul Hammant wrote:
> This is what you get when there is nothing in apps/ ....
>
>   C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>wrapper -c
> ..\conf\wrapper.conf
>   wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
>   wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
>   jvm 1    | Wrapper (Version 2.2.7)
>   jvm 1    |
>   jvm 1    |
>   jvm 1    | Phoenix 4.0beta2
>   jvm 1    |
>   jvm 1    | Shutting down Phoenix.
>   jvm 1    | java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
>   jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:993)
>   jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.DaemonLauncher.update(DaemonLauncher.jav
>a:130) jvm 1    |      at
> java.util.Observable.notifyObservers(Observable.java:142)
>   jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.shutdown(CLIMain.java:300)
>   jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.run(CLIMain.java:170)
>   jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
>   wrapper  | <-- Wrapper Stopped

Fixed this. The dumpStakc() looks like it was in there for debuggin purposes.

> Also, trying to cause the shutdown of the working wrapper with ' wrapper
> -c ..\conf\wrapper.conf wrapper.java.command=shutdown' proves less that
> fruitfull as the wrapper claims :
>
>   C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>
>   C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>wrapper -c ..\con
>   wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
>   wrapperp | port 15012 already in use, using port 15013 instead.
>   wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
>   wrapper  | can not execute ""shutdown" -Djava.ext.dirs=../lib -Dph
>   META-INF/java.policy -Djava.security.manager -Xms16m -Xmx64m -Djav
>   wrapper.key="iUV6mSMAxfVobB87" -Dwrapper.port=15013 -Dwrapper.jvmi
>   wrapper  | Critical error: wait for JVM process failed
>
> I think we have some polishing to do.

Yep - thats not how you run it. I think you install it via something like the
above (though wrapper.java.command should point to java.exe and is only
needed when java is not on the path).

However to run it you run it vi win32s console. I think you can run it via
commandline via something like

net start Phoenix
net stop Phoenix
etc.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter, Johan, Nicola,

>We already have it implemented. Yo enable just download wrapper from
>wrapper.sourceforge.net and then set up the correct properties (as defined in
>ant.properties.sample). This should result in Phoenix being built with
>wrapper support.

Yup.

>Then you just need to make sure that there is a vanilla distribution (ie
>doesn't include the win32 exe/dll files) and a distribution with the dll/exes
>included.

Planning the multiple distros is one thing, but understanding how to
launch and manipulate the wrapped phoenix is another.

This is what you get when there is a SAR in the apps dir.....

  C:\ApacheUPD\jakarta-avalon-phoenix-402\dist\bin>wrapper -c
..\conf\wrapper.conf
  wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
  wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
  jvm 1    | Wrapper (Version 2.2.7)
  jvm 1    |
  jvm 1    |
  jvm 1    | Phoenix 4.0beta2
  jvm 1    |
  jvm 1    | HelloWorld server running with a greeting of 'Hello
World'.  Point your bro...

[...]

The as yet unpublished update to
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/guide-administrator.html page
indicates this is easier than it should be.

- Paul

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:14, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >>What is your impression on the state of the Phoenix?  Both branches
> >>build (no suprise).  The documentation is coming on.  Are we ready for
> >>that release?
> >
> >yep - we ready. The release branch has all the good stuff. We will migrate
> > it back post release.
>
> Kewl.  I have a clear slot this evening.  Maybe if things are ready, we
> can do an upload.
>
> I have asked FreshMeat if we can split out 'avalon' project in to
> 'avalon-framework' 'avalon-phoenix' etc.  The writeups for each do not
> do them justice.  No answer yet.

kool.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:58, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
> > Great. Hopefully it has a commandline interface and we can find a win32
> > box to build distributions on ;)
>
> Yes, good point! How would the win32 distribution building work?

Well. I can possibly eventually get to a win32 box at a work place.
Unfortunately I am currently behind 3 firewalls and are not allowed to carry
disks in or out so there is no chance of me doing it atm.

If there was an automated way of doing it then I could quite easily setup a
build server on win2000 - however that may take a few weeks.

> Does Apache have any win32 boxes to build on?

Not that I know of.

> When I first mentioned "install script" I was thinking about something
> like an install file (Install.exe or even just a .bat) in the root of
> the windows distribution zip archive.

Ahh - I was thinking Phoenix.exe ;)

> <off-topic>
> Yes, I have actually used the old mega distros Avalon2 and Avalon3.
> Great code and stability already then! Sadly I haven't had the
> oppertunity to contribute anything back yet.
> </off-topic>

Brave :)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
        -- Ramsey Clark

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
> Great. Hopefully it has a commandline interface and we can find a win32 box to
> build distributions on ;)

Yes, good point! How would the win32 distribution building work?

Does Apache have any win32 boxes to build on? For security reasons it is
probably a very, very bad idea to just use any Internet connected
windows box ;)

When I first mentioned "install script" I was thinking about something
like an install file (Install.exe or even just a .bat) in the root of
the windows distribution zip archive.

If the file is an executable it could be prebuilt and just copied to the
distribution directory from the dist-wrapper target before zipping it
up. OK, a new version would possibly be needed if phoenix's directory
structure changes radically. Would that be reasonable? In the end we
could end up having one installation file for every "big" version...
Avalon2, Avalon3, Phoenix4, Phoenix5 ....

<off-topic>
Yes, I have actually used the old mega distros Avalon2 and Avalon3.
Great code and stability already then! Sadly I haven't had the
oppertunity to contribute anything back yet.
</off-topic>

Well, I'm not the release manager, Phewww!, so it is very much up to you
guys how you want to have it. As I haven't looked through all the
different possibilities I can't propose anything yet. I see extra
overhead to the release process (e.g. external win32 building) as a
possible headache though.

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:30, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
>
>>If I get some extra spare time in the near future and if someone feels
>>it is needed I might try to generate an RPM package of Phoenix or
>>perhaps a small installation script for windows.
>

> Either would be great. For RPM, if you could create a spec file and the ant
> commands I could make it part of our nightly build process or at least part
> of our regular distribution process.
>
> I don't know much about win32 install tools. I hear that there is a NUllsoft
> installer toolkit that is great but I don't have any experience.

The best free professionallooking installer for windows:
Inno Setup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Peter Donald wrote:

> The only thing to think about doing (up to you really) is building multiple
> releases with wrapper integrated. Ideally we would have a pure java release
> and a wrapper release for windows. We could also do a linux/wrapper release
> of Phoenix but that is less important now that we have the phoenix.sh script.
> So I would focus on doing a win32 wrapper release of Phoenix. Thoughts?

Thanks Peter for bringing this up again.

If a Linux/Solaris wrapper distribution is useful, could all wrapper
versions be included in one package? But... then again as you said, the
new phoenix.sh script is really good so other versions than Win32 are
probably not needed.

Does anyone use the wrapper with Phoenix on Linux or Solaris?

Paul, if you need help with this let me know. If you feel it shouldn't
go into this release that is OK too, it can be added later or not at
all. I DO think it will be very good for the project to have ready
distributions for different operating systems. All the discussions about
"How can I get my boss/manager to understand this and that" shows that.

If I get some extra spare time in the near future and if someone feels
it is needed I might try to generate an RPM package of Phoenix or
perhaps a small installation script for windows. I don't know if that is
needed though... perhaps one can assume that most users can copy a
directory and install phoenix with as as service if the wrapper is
included... but you never know ;)

Cheers,

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>> I have asked FreshMeat if we can split out 'avalon' project in to
>> 'avalon-framework' 'avalon-phoenix' etc.  The writeups for each do
>> not do them justice.  No answer yet.
>

> Still no answer.  Should we unilaterally apply for avalon-logkit
> (still pending an announcement) and avalon-phoenix etc?  I suspect
> that the delige of email from the contacts page is too much for FM.

Ooops spoke too soon by seconds.... Standby.

- Paul

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Johan Sjöberg wrote:
> Paul Hammant wrote:
>
>> I've no experience of the services wrapper.
>>
>> Should I poke around the Tomcat source or do we have something ready
>> ourselves?
>

> At this stage, would it be enough to just do a
>
> -cvs checkout
> -ant dist
>
> for the standard distribution and
>
> -cvs checkout
> -ant dist-lite-wrapper
>
> for the windows wrapper distribution and give the latter a different name?

Forget this. It isn't smart at all. The wrapper distribution should
probably also include the documentation etc... Perhaps a new ant target,
dist-wrapper, or something, would do it?

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

> I've no experience of the services wrapper.
>
> Should I poke around the Tomcat source or do we have something ready
> ourselves?

At this stage, would it be enough to just do a

-cvs checkout
-ant dist

for the standard distribution and

-cvs checkout
-ant dist-lite-wrapper

for the windows wrapper distribution and give the latter a different name?

Just a thought.

//
Johan

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Stable branch

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 20:23, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Do I have to have two CVS trees on my local system?

only if you want to work on both simultaneously.

> As I see it :
>
>   1) The 402 branch for applying patches to.  This will be labeled again
> as Phoenix 4.0 goes live in a matter of days.

yep.

>   2) The HEAD branch for continued development.

yep.

> If I have a patch to apply, for the time being at least, it gets applied
> to both (i.e. twice by hand)

Just apply it to the 402 branch. After we do a release I will merge all the
changes from 402 back into the main trunk.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 "Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original
dimensions." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Re: Stable branch

Posted by Andy Pols <an...@pols.co.uk>.
Peforce Rocks!!!

:)
Have a fun weekend
Andy

On 7/9/02 11:23 am, "Paul Hammant" <Pa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> This branching in CVS thing is new to me (ye all know I prefer Perforce).
>
> Do I have to have two CVS trees on my local system?
>
> As I see it :
>
> 1) The 402 branch for applying patches to.  This will be labeled again
> as Phoenix 4.0 goes live in a matter of days.
> 2) The HEAD branch for continued development.
>
> If I have a patch to apply, for the time being at least, it gets applied
> to both (i.e. twice by hand)
>
> Can someone correct me...
>
> Regards,
>
> - Paul
>

>> Hiya,
>>
>> I have made a branch with tag "RELEASE_402-branch" which is the "stable
>> branch". ie It is what we will use when we do the next release. To get that
>> source tree you need to add the "-r RELEASE_402-branch" to your cvs update or
>> cvs checkout commands.
>>
>> I have updated the documentation, linked in Huws management docs and uploaded
>> to the website. I have also gone through and updated references to new DTD
>> locations as per thread on avalon-dev (ie move from /phoenix/*.dtd to
>> /avalon/dtds/phoenix/*.dtd).
>>
>> If you need to fix a bug prior to release then do it against the branch and
>> we
>> can merge it back into main tree post-release. If anyone wants to add some
>> more documentation then do it against the stable tree.
>>
>> Anyways hopefully this will enable us to start applying some of Igors work in
>> main tree without effecting release schedule.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

_________________________________
Pols Consulting Limited