Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Frissaer, Jeroen" <je...@be.unisys.com> on 2002/06/10 10:10:44 UTC

Log4J architecture - AsyncAppender

Hi everyone,

I would like to know more about how Log4J is architectured.  More in
particular the use of the AsyncAppender within a J2EE environment.  Suppose
I'v got 3 EJB's: EJB1, EJB2 and EJB3 that create loggers with names:
TraceLogger.EJB1, TraceLogger.EJB2 and TraceLogger.EJB3.

Logger creation and configuration is done in a central class that first
checks if configuration needs to be done or not.  My TraceLogger logger uses
an AsyncAppender that references for example a JMSAppender and a
SocketAppender.

What I would like to know is: How many extra threads are there created by
the use of the AsyncAppender.  One that serves everything?  one for each EJB
that logs?

Thanks
Jeroen

RE: Log4J architecture - AsyncAppender

Posted by Thomas Tuft Muller <tt...@online.no>.
The AsyncAppender documentation reads

"(..) The AsyncAppender uses a separate thread to serve the events in
 its bounded buffer (...)"

Reading the code confirms this statement (surprisingly enough). A thread is
started upon creation, and the thread is notified each time a log event
occurs, which is then distributed to the appenders the asyncappender in
question is controlling.

Hope this helps.

--

Thomas

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Copyright ERA Technology Ltd. 2002. (www.era.co.uk). All rights reserved.
The information supplied in this email should be treated in confidence.
No liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss or damage
suffered as a result of accessing this message or any attachments.