Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2018/09/07 22:57:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0

Hi,

We solved 23 issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317828&version=12343394

There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SCM%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1445/
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1445/org/apache/maven/scm/maven-scm/1.11.0/maven-scm-1.11.0-source-release.zip

Source release checksum(s):
maven-scm-1.11.0-source-release.zip sha1:
eddf58c38e4d968ffc463b0b9c435bae6cf1e505

Staging site:
https://maven.apache.org/scm-archives/scm-LATEST/

Guide to testing staged releases:
https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: understanding CI failures (was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0)

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-09-09 um 15:37 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> looking at CI during vote looks like a good idea because the current CI builds
> a lot of things, but I fear we don't use the results as much as we should
>
> personally, every time I get a failing build, I find it very difficult to
> understand what is failing: the branch display is not useful since you can't
> know which step is failing [1], neither is Test Result [2] since it does not
> display which step failed
>
> And the output log, with mixed logs is awful [3]: barely unusable
>
> And the stage logs, if I can understand which stage is failing, is so tiny in
> the center of my wide screen that I can't imagine I will use it
>

> Our Jenkinsfile configuration is great for mass managment, but is not IMHO
> usable for investigating on issues
>
> Is it just me not knowing something on the way to use the current display?

I do agree with you. I was having a hard time to understand what the
real cause is/was with our tests. The Jenkins output is suboptimal.
In this case, everything was rooted in bugs in SCM actually, Jenkins
simply revealed them, but they were hard to understand and to reproduce.
Moreover, testing on Jekins is ridiculous if you see something like this

> 'git' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

So the slave does not have Git installed. This all real world tests useless.
The tests revealed issues SCM-905, -906, -907, -908, -909, -910, and
-911. But finding and fixing all those took me at least half a day.

Michael

Re: understanding CI failures (was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 06:15, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> thank you Olivier: this one is really great
> the only issue is that it's really picky: you can't reload or navigate by
> tweaking url

There might be some missing configuration for blueocean (see proxy on
Apache Tomcat https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Blue+Ocean+Plugin)
But I don't know how Jenkins is configured now @ Apache.
I will ask infra guys.

but a least, now that I know that I must start navigating from beginning to

Olivier Lamy

Re: understanding CI failures (was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0)

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
> [...]

> > On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 00:57:32 +0200, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We solved 23 issues:
> > >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317828&
> > > version=12343394
> > >
> > > There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> > >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SCM%20AND%20res
> > > olution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
> > >
> > > Staging repo:
> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1445/
> > >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1445/org/apache/m
> > > aven/scm/maven-scm/1.11.0/maven-scm-1.11.0-source-release.zip
> > >
> > > Source release checksum(s):
> > > maven-scm-1.11.0-source-release.zip sha1:
> > > eddf58c38e4d968ffc463b0b9c435bae6cf1e505

Olivier Lamy

Re: understanding CI failures (was Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0)

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
In general the pipeline steps[1] is a good way good start.
But it seems like it is still not showing the unstable steps.

Another thing I do is search for "Failed: " in the console output. The
label should give you enough details about the problematic combination of
OS+JDK+Maven.

There's indeed some room for improvements, but that requires quite some
Jenkins Plugin development knowledge ;)

thanks,
Robert

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-scm/job/master/60/flowGraphTable/

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
[...]

[2] https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-scm/
job/master/59/testReport/

[3] https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-scm/

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-09-08 um 12:16 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> Before verifying this release, I'm kind of surprised that master on
> builds.a.o[1] is unstable for quite some time.
> Not a blocker if there are good reasons, but would like to see these
> fixed as well soon.

They are Windows-related too long paths on Jenkins as well as other
Jenkins issues. I haven't looked into that too deeply. But I usually ran
all tests on three operating systems.

Michael

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-09-08 um 12:16 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> Before verifying this release, I'm kind of surprised that master on
> builds.a.o[1] is unstable for quite some time.
> Not a blocker if there are good reasons, but would like to see these

I I found out why some tests are failing:

F:\jenkins\jenkins-slave\workspace\maven-box_maven-scm_SCM-906-3AXCXWOA5KAAL37TCEKGJUQCHVU3HMOGCVV63JP76C24C3X6DHOA@2\m\maven-scm-providers\maven-scm-providers-git\maven-scm-provider-gitexe\target

and this is passed to Git:
git clone
file://2/m/maven-scm-providers/maven-scm-providers-git/maven-scm-provider-gitexe/target/git_copy/
checkin-nobranch

For some reason the file:// URL is considered to contain a username.
The URL cracker does obviously not conform to RFC 8089.

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-09-08 um 12:16 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> Before verifying this release, I'm kind of surprised that master on
> builds.a.o[1] is unstable for quite some time.
> Not a blocker if there are good reasons, but would like to see these
> fixed as well soon.

All fixed. We really had some serious flaws in our code.

I will respin the release the next days as 1.11.1.

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

[CANCELED] [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
I am going to cancel the vote and respin the release. There a some
issues not be solved. I missed one to merge as well as the issues noted
by Robert.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

notice that the checksum to use is now sha512 instead of sha1
sha512 =
c376ba0eeb88d40312e29ce4047eaa6393a56d2f3f6353b296a676db3fa8cd4aabdf513863dc3b2feeae8c13530a148f220dc3a866345c76a0e37bd36c9cdeee

this will be particularly important for the dist area: the Maven parent POM
version 33 has not yet been released (hence not used...), then you'll have to
create the sha512 file by hand: sorry ;)

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by "francois.papon" <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1 (non-binding)
Thanks for the release.
Regards,
François

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> Date : 08/09/2018  02:57  (GMT+04:00) À : Maven Developers List <de...@maven.apache.org> Objet : [VOTE] Release Maven SCM version 1.11.0