Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gregory Guthrie <gu...@mum.edu> on 2001/07/10 06:37:01 UTC

Tomcat as NT service.. problem.

I tried to setup Tomcat to start as an NT service (Win2k-Pro), as per:
   Working with the Jakarta NT Service
   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/NT-Service-howto.html

And it seems OK:
    E:\Net\Apache\Tools>jk_nt_service -i Tomcat
e:\Net\Apache\Tomcat\conf\wrapper.properties
    Asked (and given) winsock 1.1
    The service named Tomcat was created. Now adding registry entries
    Registry values were added
    If you have already updated wrapper.properties you may start the Tomcat
service
    by executing "net start Tomcat" from the command prompt

But I get:
    E:\Net\Apache\Tools>net start Tomcat
    The Tomcat service is starting.
    The Tomcat service could not be started.
    The service did not report an error.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

Apache runs fine as a service.  :-)
Tomcat runs fine by a DOS startup.
And they run fine together via mod_jk.dll.

I did edit the wrappers.properties file to point to JDK and Tomcat; seems
simple enough.

Any help appreciated; I don't know where to look for hints, there are no
log files or errors generated.

Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (641)472-1125    Fax: -1103

Re: Tomcat as NT service.. problem.

Posted by Tomeu BennĂ ssar <to...@ipc4.uib.es>.
I had the same problem and Randy Layman send me the text bellow, try it, it
worked for me

Generally this is due to some form of Path error causing the service
not to be able to start.  There are three things to check:
        1.  The path to wrapper.properties is correct (its in the registry
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\CurrentControlSet\<Service Name>.
        2.  The values of TOMCAT_HOME or JAVA_HOME are incorrect
        3.  You have installed Tomcat or Java into a directory that has a
space in its name.

Tomeu BennĂ ssar

Posted by Simon Mitchell bpc <sm...@bigpond.net.au>.
I had the same problem.

Posted by "Bruce A. Carson" <ba...@world.std.com>.
Ah, you probably fell for the "secret" trap laid for you by the
programmers...  The stupid Tomcat jk_nt_service can't handle directories
with a space in them and the default install for Apache puts Apache in a
directory with not one, but two spaces !!

I will send you my install directions in a private e-mail.  If anyone else
is interested, drop me an e-mail.

Bruce