Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by "Gerdes, Mike" <Mi...@airbus.com> on 2006/02/24 14:50:20 UTC

servicemix components

hi,

it is me again. I was wondering this time, what the role of the "servicemix components" are. I mean the files in the components directory, like servicemix-jms-3.0-SNAPSHOT.zip. My question is, what is the role of these components. I understand that they are JBI deployment components, there can be put into the install directory, where they are then installed and can be used by service units and so on. But why are they are at all? From my little understanding you can you the jms service and others that are in servicemix just as normal when configuring them in a servicemix.xml file.
What is special about these zip files? When are they needed to be deployed?

cya and many things in advance to help me with my newbie questions, that arise so often.

mike

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an external partner or the Global Internet. Keep this in mind if you answer this message.

Re: servicemix components

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
The main reason is that people may want to install components or
deploy service assemblies at runtime.
Using the JBI way is the only way to do this.  Another benefit is that
you can have isolated classloaders,
which can be useful is you have some incompatibilites between the components.

A few months ago, ServiceMix had only lightweight components, but the
new components are JBI compliants.
These new components can also be configured in a servicemix.xml file
and so I hope that in the future, lightweight
components will be deprecated in favor to the new ones.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet