Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Leon Zaruvinsky <le...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/15 23:44:06 UTC

Cassandra build failing after Central Repository HTTPS

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with the building Cassandra 2.2.14 on CircleCI since
Central Repo has stopped supporting http.*

*
https://central.sonatype.org/articles/2020/Jan/15/501-https-required-error/

I've updated the build.properties and build.xml files to use https.
However, it seems that the ant build starts to use https and then switches
to http after a few artifacts:

maven-ant-tasks-retrieve-build:
[artifact:dependencies] Downloading: junit/junit/4.6/junit-4.6.pom
from repository central at https://repo1.maven.org/maven2
[artifact:dependencies] Transferring 1K from central
[artifact:dependencies] Downloading:
org/assertj/assertj-core/3.12.0/assertj-core-3.12.0.pom from
repository central at https://repo1.maven.org/maven2
[artifact:dependencies] Transferring 13K from central
[artifact:dependencies] Downloading:
org/assertj/assertj-parent-pom/2.2.2/assertj-parent-pom-2.2.2.pom from
repository central at https://repo1.maven.org/maven2
[artifact:dependencies] Transferring 16K from central
[artifact:dependencies] Downloading:
org/junit/junit-bom/5.4.0/junit-bom-5.4.0.pom from repository central
at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
[artifact:dependencies] Error transferring file: Server returned HTTP
response code: 501 for URL:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/junit/junit-bom/5.4.0/junit-bom-5.4.0.pom
[artifact:dependencies] [WARNING] Unable to get resource
'org.junit:junit-bom:pom:5.4.0' from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2): Error transferring file: Server
returned HTTP response code: 501 for URL:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/junit/junit-bom/5.4.0/junit-bom-5.4.0.pom
[artifact:dependencies] An error has occurred while processing the
Maven artifact tasks.
[artifact:dependencies]  Diagnosis:
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies] Unable to resolve artifact: Unable to get
dependency information: Unable to read the metadata file for artifact
'org.assertj:assertj-core:jar': POM 'org.junit:junit-bom' not found in
repository: Unable to download the artifact from any repository
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies]   org.junit:junit-bom:pom:5.4.0
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies] from the specified remote repositories:
[artifact:dependencies]   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies]  for project org.junit:junit-bom
[artifact:dependencies]   org.assertj:assertj-core:jar:3.12.0
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies] from the specified remote repositories:
[artifact:dependencies]   apache (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2),
[artifact:dependencies]   central (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies] Path to dependency:
[artifact:dependencies] 	1)
org.apache.cassandra:cassandra-build-deps:jar:2.2.14-SNAPSHOT
[artifact:dependencies]
[artifact:dependencies]

There are no references to http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 anywhere in my
repo.   One theory is that this reference is being automatically injected
somewhere, but I'm not sure where or how to stop it.

Has anyone else encountered this or has suggestions for how to fix?

Thanks,
Leon

Re: Cassandra build failing after Central Repository HTTPS

Posted by Leon Zaruvinsky <le...@gmail.com>.
Hey Michael,

That’s basically what I did, but still getting the error unfortunately.  The first artifact does seem to recognize to use https, but the transitive dependency does not.

Thanks

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

Posted by Leon Zaruvinsky <le...@gmail.com>.
I think I've found the source of the issue.  We are using assert-core on
our fork of the repository, which is attempting to pull in junit-5.4.0.
junit-5.4.0 doesn't seem to be published on either of the https
repositories, so ant tries to hit the http as a backup and then fails with
the error below.

It's curious that Junit was published to the http but not https repository.

Either way, thanks for the assistance in debugging!

Posted by Leon Zaruvinsky <lz...@palantir.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.