Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com> on 2012/07/02 09:53:48 UTC

Board Report

Hi all,

It's reporting time again. Below is the report for July, please comment on
it!
Since last month the incubator PMC is actively looking at the reports, so
if anyone thinks something is missing or should be added please say so.

One of the items which requires more attention is "graduation". Basically
the following points should be addresses:
* Most important issues to address before we can graduate
* Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of
* How has the community developed since the last report
* How has the project developed since the last report

--------------------
Celix

Celix is an implementation of the OSGi Specification in C.

Celix entered incubation on November 2, 2010.

Over the last months we have started working on "Native-OSGi" which is an
effort to make a specification for a C and C++ bases OSGi implementation.
As detailed in the graduation plan [1] in the previous report we hope to
attract more community members with this move.
Details for Native-OSGi can be found at [2].

Furthermore there has been a slight increase on the mailing list, hopefully
this is a trend that will continue in the coming months.

* Most important issues to address before we can graduate
Make a first release and grow a larger community. It is also needed to
attract some more committers, there are currently 2.

* Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of
None at this time

* How has the community developed since the last report
There has been an increase on the mailing list, furthermore with the start
of the Native-OSGi project we hope this will increase in the coming months.

* How has the project developed since the last report
>From a technical point of view, we are working towards a first release. The
build files have been updated to support a more modular project structure.
Since the implementation is moving forward (al be it slowly), the community
growth is the biggest concern for Celix.

[1]:
http://incubator.apache.org/celix/community/boardreports/boardreports.html#2012-04
[2]: https://github.com/abroekhuis/NativeOSGi

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis

Re: Board Report

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
I've read the report and I'm okay with it!

Somehow I have lost my karma to edit the wiki, so once I have that back I will sign it. Alternatively, feel free to add my name. :)

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Board Report

Re: Board Report

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
>> and I think it wise to mention that we are very close to a first release,
>>

> I personally think "very close" is quite optimistic. We need to do quite
> some work to get things going.. I'll try to send an update on this later
> today/tomorrow..

Yeah you are right "very close' is a bit optimistic, that said I think
it could be wise to split up to work - for a "optimal" release - even
more to get a release as early as possible.
IMO Celix is good enough for people to try it out and hopefully
generate more community.

But we can discus this later after you post the update ;)

Greetings,
Pepijn

Re: Board Report

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.

> Since the last report the device access code has been committed

I'll add this, good point.

Re: Board Report

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<a....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's reporting time again. Below is the report for July, please comment on
> it!
> Since last month the incubator PMC is actively looking at the reports, so
> if anyone thinks something is missing or should be added please say so.
>
> One of the items which requires more attention is "graduation". Basically
> the following points should be addresses:
> * Most important issues to address before we can graduate
> * Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of
> * How has the community developed since the last report
> * How has the project developed since the last report
>
> --------------------
> Celix
>
> Celix is an implementation of the OSGi Specification in C.
>
> Celix entered incubation on November 2, 2010.
>
> Over the last months we have started working on "Native-OSGi" which is an
> effort to make a specification for a C and C++ bases OSGi implementation.
> As detailed in the graduation plan [1] in the previous report we hope to
> attract more community members with this move.
> Details for Native-OSGi can be found at [2].
>
> Furthermore there has been a slight increase on the mailing list, hopefully
> this is a trend that will continue in the coming months.
>
> * Most important issues to address before we can graduate
> Make a first release and grow a larger community. It is also needed to
> attract some more committers, there are currently 2.
>
> * Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of
> None at this time
>
> * How has the community developed since the last report
> There has been an increase on the mailing list, furthermore with the start
> of the Native-OSGi project we hope this will increase in the coming months.
>
> * How has the project developed since the last report
> From a technical point of view, we are working towards a first release. The
> build files have been updated to support a more modular project structure.
> Since the implementation is moving forward (al be it slowly), the community
> growth is the biggest concern for Celix.

Since the last report the device access code has been committed and I
think it wise to mention that we are very close to a first release,
which we hope will attract more community.
For the rest a looks good :)