Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2006/07/12 18:25:01 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany C++ Milestone 1

I have posted a 2nd candidate for the first C++ release here:
http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/RC-2

Please vote to publish the Milestone 1 release distributions. Please
take some time to download the distributions, review them and test them
in your environment before voting.

The vote is open for at least the next 72 hours.
At least three +1 votes are required, and only the votes from
Tuscany committers are binding. If the majority of all votes is
positive, I will send a summary of that vote to the Incubator's general
list to formally request the Incubator PMC to approve the Tuscany C++
Milestone 1 release. For your reference the Incubator release policy
guidelines are available at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases.

Release Summary
=============

Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the Service Component
Architecture 0.9 specification, written in C++ and will currently support
C++
component implementation types. This is not yet a complete implementation
and
known restrictions are described below.

Supported SCA Assembly Model features
  *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
     below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.

Supported language bindings
  * Component implementations written in C++. See SCA Client and
    Implementation Model specification.
  * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
    Implementation Model specification.

Supported external service and entry point bindings
  * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
    web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming to
the
    WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).

Known restrictions
  * Subsystem: wiring, entry points and external services are not supported.
  * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
    specification limits remote service interfaces to not using
overloaded operations).
  * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single WSDL
document.
  * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
validation only).
  * No metadata API.

 A sample is included which demonstrates deploying an SCA module, component
wiring, locating and invoking C++ service from C++ component,  invoking from
a C++ client, and exposing a service as a web service using ws binding.

Cheers,

--
Pete

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany C++ Milestone 1

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 13/07/06, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just tried the Windows binary distribution:
>
> In the SDO INSTALL document step (1) Prereqs it says get libxml2 but
> doesn't
> say which version and doesn't say to set any environment variable to where
> i'd installed it
>
> Step 4 says "Set the environment variable TUSCANY_SDOCPP to the 'deploy'
> directory" but there is no directory named deploy.
>
> In the samples INSTALL doc it doesn't say anything about zlib, libxml, or
> iconv but it doesn't work without these. I used the versions from the RC1
> install doc, set environment variables for each and added them to the PATH
>
> Now "runclient add 5 6" says can't find MSVCP60D.dll. Googling that I
> found
> a free download and added that to the PATH.
>
> Now it can't find MSVCRTD.dll, found another free download for that and
> added to the PATH.

This is a mistake. The Calculator sample was built using Debug. It should be
Release version. Fix applied to svn.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Worked fine for me with the latest libxml2 (version 2.6.24) from
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html

Cheers
Andy

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 13/07/06, cr22rc <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great, seems like you already have done the work, just need both
> packages to reflect your efforts; a build / packaging issue.

and doc! Also needs a bit of code restructure in svn and build/package for
linux distros.... but apart from all that ...

Posted by cr22rc <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Rick,

The reason SDO is in here is because it is required by the SCA runtime. We
split it out into separate packages as SDO could be used without SCA. The
Java release just bundled averything together I believe. I agree there
should be samples for SDO if it is in this separate package and we should
therefore NOT release this asis.

I think putting ALL the doc in the gettingStarted file is a good idea and we
just leave the README and INSTALL to a minimum (link to GettingStarted).
This would also make it simple to hang the doc off the project web site.

Cheers,

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by cr22rc <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
comments inline:

On 14/07/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> I tried the RC2 binary distribution, and was able to run the Calculator
> samples including the Calculator Web Service.
>
> The binary distributions look pretty good to me, I just found a few
> minor issues that should be easy to fix or document.
>
> SDO binary install:
>
> In INSTALL, the Linux binary install section should describe steps to
> configure TUSCANY_SDOCPP and make LD_LIBRARY_PATH point to
> $TUSCANY_SDOCPP/lib. I'm actually not sure if TUSCANY_SDOCPP is
> required, but the doc asks to configure it on Windows, so I'm guessing
> that it should be the same on Linux...
>
> bin/test/tuscany_sdo_test fails to load some XSDs, I think it should be
> removed, or the missing XSDs added.

This test is really for verifying the source build. It was not intended to
be in ht bin distro.

It would be nice to have an SDO sample, or add the missing XSDs to get
> tuscany_sdo_test working.

Working on this now!

SCA binary install:

> In INSTALL, the Linux binary install section should describe steps to
> configure TUSCANY_SCACPP and make LD_LIBRARY_PATH point to
> $TUSCANY_SCACPP/lib. Note that if you don't set TUSCANY_SCACPP, client
> programs still work, but Web Services running in the Axis2 HTTP server
> fail with a "SystemConfigurationException has been caught:
> TUSCANY_SCACPP environment variable not set" error.

TUSCANY_SCACPP is required to be set for the process where the runtime is
running. So it must be set when using a client as the runtime will be in the
same process. Not sure how it managed to work without this! The WSClient
does not need this set as it is a simple Axis2C client. TUSCANY_SCACPP must
be set for the process that will host the sca runtime, in this instance that
will be the axis server. All these instructions are already in the
samples/INSTALL instructions.

bin/test/tuscany_sca_test fails complaining that
> TUSCANY_SCACPP_SYSTEM_ROOT is not set.

again this test program is not intended for bin release. for src release
there is a script to run it.

Just a suggestion, in
> samples/Calculator/CalculatorModule/Calculator.wsdl, the soap:address
> http://localhost/axis/CalculatorService does not match the actual
> address of the Calculator service
> http://localhost:9090/axis2/services/Calculator. This is not preventing
> the sample to run because the Calculator client overrides the endpoint,
> but I think that having the correct endpoint in the WSDL in the first
> place will avoid confusion when people use that WSDL with a Web Service
> test tool for example or build a variation of the Calculator sample.

Will fix this.

I'll try the source distributions as well tomorrow.

Many thanks!

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Pete Robbins wrote:
> I have posted a 2nd candidate for the first C++ release here:
> http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/RC-2
>

> Please vote to publish the Milestone 1 release distributions. Please
> take some time to download the distributions, review them and test them
> in your environment before voting.
>
> The vote is open for at least the next 72 hours.
> At least three +1 votes are required, and only the votes from
> Tuscany committers are binding. If the majority of all votes is
> positive, I will send a summary of that vote to the Incubator's general
> list to formally request the Incubator PMC to approve the Tuscany C++
> Milestone 1 release. For your reference the Incubator release policy
> guidelines are available at
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases.
>

> Release Summary
> =============
>
> Tuscany SCA C++ provides a runtime implementation for the Service
> Component
> Architecture 0.9 specification, written in C++ and will currently support
> C++
> component implementation types. This is not yet a complete implementation
> and
> known restrictions are described below.
>
> Supported SCA Assembly Model features
>  *  All features are supported unless listed under the known restrictions
>     below. See SCA Assembly Model specification.
>
> Supported language bindings
>  * Component implementations written in C++. See SCA Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
>  * Component interfaces described by C++ classes. See SCA Client and
>    Implementation Model specification.
>
> Supported external service and entry point bindings
>  * The web service binding is supported. This implementation will support
>    web services which using document literal SOAP bindings conforming to
> the
>    WS-I basic profile (rpc/encoded is not yet supported).
>
> Known restrictions
>  * Subsystem: wiring, entry points and external services are not
> supported.
>  * Local service interfaces cannot use overloaded operations (the SCA
>    specification limits remote service interfaces to not using
> overloaded operations).
>  * Each WSDL definition for a web service binding must be in a single
> WSDL
> document.
>  * No load time validation of the deployed SCA application (run time
> validation only).
>  * No metadata API.
>
> A sample is included which demonstrates deploying an SCA module,
> component
> wiring, locating and invoking C++ service from C++ component,
> invoking from
> a C++ client, and exposing a service as a web service using ws binding.
>

> Cheers,

Pete,

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Have tested on Windows and my old Fedora Core1 box, all happy.

Cheers
Andy

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.