Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca> on 2005/07/12 18:14:50 UTC

html:messages help

Hi,

I am having trouble getting messages to display using the html:messages
tag.  I have tried to help myself and followed the struts docs but I
can't seem to get this to work.  The html:errors tag works fine.  Here's
what I am trying to do:

I have an action that is trying to add a global message if a certain
action is successful.

<code-snippet>
ActionMessages messages = new ActionMessages();
messages.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE,
                            new ActionMessage("mesg.pwResetSuccess"));

if (!messages.isEmpty())
    saveMessages(request, messages);
forward = mapping.findForward(GLOBAL_FORWARDS.LOGIN);
</code-snippet>

As you can see I create a messages object, stick my message in it as
global and save it.  This is pretty much verbatim from the struts user
guide.  I ran this through a debugger and all code is being executed.
This forwards to a jsp page that has the following inside it:

<code-snippet>
<ul>
        <li><c:out value="${message}" /></li>
</ul>
</code-snippet>

When the browser renders the page I get no messages.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ross

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca>.
To answer my own question, in this case I was able to remove the
redirect attribute and everything works.  If I couldn't do that I would
have had to stick the messages in the session.

Thanks,

Ross

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Daniel Henrique Ferreira e Silva <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca>.

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Brad Balmer <bb...@peapod.com>.

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca>.
Hi,

Thanks again but still not working.  I tried as you suggested.  I don't
think it is a problem with the <c:out> tag anyway because when I look at
what the browser gets I see

<ul>

</ul>

And not

<ul>
    <li>
    </li>
</ul>

Anyway, I will get the struts source and step through the html:messages
code, perhaps there is something fishy going on in there.

Ross

Re: html:messages help

Re: html:messages help

Posted by Ross Gibb <ra...@ucalgary.ca>.