Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org> on 2018/01/17 02:15:38 UTC

Switched PreCommit-Admin over to Apache Yetus

bcc: builds@apache.org, dev@hbase.apache.org, dev@hive.apache.org, common-dev@hadoop.apache.org, dev@phoenix.apache.org, dev@oozie.apache.org

	(These are all of the projects that had pending issues.  This is not all of the groups that actually rely upon this code...)

	The recent JIRA upgrade broke PreCommit-Admin.

	This breakage was obviously an unintended consequence.  This python code hasn’t been touched in a very long time.  In fact, it was still coming from Hadoop SVN tree as it had never been migrated to git.  So it isn’t too surprising that after all this time something finally broke it.

	Luckily, Apache Yetus was already in the progress of adopting it for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here.  With the breakage, this work naturally became more urgent.  With the help of the Apache Yetus community doing some quick reviews, I just switched PreCommit-Admin over to using the master version of the equivalent code in the Yetus source tree.  As soon as the community can get a 0.7.0 release out, we’ll switch it over from master to 0.7.0 so that it can follow our regular release cadence.  This also means that JIRA issues can be filled against Yetus for bugs seen in the code base or for feature requests.  [Hopefully with code and docs attached. :) ]

	In any case, with the re-activation of this job, all unprocessed jobs just kicked off.  So don't be too surprised by the influx of feedback.

	As a sidenote, there are some other sticky issues with regards to precommit setups on Jenkins.  I'll be sending another note in the future on that though. I've had enough excitement for today. :)

	Thanks!

Re: Switched PreCommit-Admin over to Apache Yetus

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Thanks Allen for the notice, and dev@yetus for the quick turnaround.

It's easy for Yetus to fade into the background of our development
cycle, but it is vital. We are, all of us, grateful for the
community's improvements and fixes that keep us rolling forward. -C

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 19, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Eric Wohlstadter <wo...@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Is it possible for you to check whether Tez has been affected?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TEZ/

	There weren't any (that I saw at least) in the queue when I fired off of the new build, but Tez does use precommit-admin.

> For the last few days my patches aren't triggering any submission hook.
> Here is an example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-3888

	They actually are triggering. (Here's TEZ-3888: https://builds.apache.org/view/PreCommit%20Builds/job/PreCommit-TEZ-Build/2715/ ) The problem is that all of the old, deprecated features that Tez' test-patch depends upon have been removed.

	I'd obviously recommend switching to Yetus' test-patch (esp 0.7.0 after it gets released hopefully by the end of the week since it fixes another bug with the new JIRA install), but I'm obviously a bit biased there. ;)

> In exchange, I can offer a Sharks NHL fidget spinner.

	lol

Re: Switched PreCommit-Admin over to Apache Yetus

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Wohlstadter <wo...@cs.ubc.ca>.
Hi Allen,
 Thanks for providing the update.

Is it possible for you to check whether Tez has been affected?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TEZ/

For the last few days my patches aren't triggering any submission hook.
Here is an example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-3888

In exchange, I can offer a Sharks NHL fidget spinner.

--Eric

Posted by Eric Wohlstadter <wo...@cs.ubc.ca>.
Hi Allen,

Fwd: Switched PreCommit-Admin over to Apache Yetus

Posted by Eric Wohlstadter <wo...@cs.ubc.ca>.
I think we may be experiencing this problem on Tez JIRA (failure of
PreCommit-Admin hook).

Has anyone tried submitting a patch in the last few days?

My patch submissions aren't triggering test results ...

If anyone knows how to fix this, that would be awesome. Otherwise I can
reach out to people.

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.