Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/23 17:20:35 UTC

Maven POMs uploaded to Jira

Hi

I've finished a first draft at a set of Maven POMs for Pivot, and
attached them to new issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-333.

I found the discussion from earlier this year on Maven, and realize
you might end up not using these. However, they are useful to me as
I've gradually moved more of my development over to Maven, so I
thought I would share them.

The files I attached work at least for an install (to local Maven repository)
mvn clean install

and will generate complete documentation, including JavaDoc,
PMD/FindBugs/Coverage, and other reports if you run the site mojo
mvn site

(docs end up in target/site). I haven't tried running a deploy yet.

There are some issues in particular around naming the JARs for the WTK
and Web sub-modules as these each produce multiple JARs, so need to
use a classifier or other indicator of the distinction.

There is some duplication across the POMs, though I tried my best to
avoid it; I'm sort of an intermediate-level Maven at this point, so
tips would be welcome.

The demos WAR is not included at this point.

You should be able to open the top-level POM from Eclipse, IntelliJ or
NetBeans and have everything (paths, etc.) set up correctly.

Regards
Patrick

Re: Maven POMs uploaded to Jira

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Oh, a last thing I forget:
after the 1.4 release it will be possible to use (download) pivot jars
from the main repository (i hope :-) ).

Bye

Re: Maven POMs uploaded to Jira

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,
yesterday I've committed a little change in our ant build file, so if
you synchronize from trunk you can generate all jars in a
repository-compatible way (in a license and requirements etc way).

I'll tell you later on your poms submitted, sorry but until now I
haven't looked deeply at them.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Maven POMs uploaded to Jira

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
we discuss a lot months ago on this subject, and finally we choose NOT
to use Maven as a build tool to build Pivot itself (for many reasons
...), BUT publish Pivot jars in Apache main Maven repository, to let
users who have maven as their build tool, to use Pivot jars in a
simple way ... but I (and others in Pivot) have never published jars
to a public repository (we have to follow some rules, and add some
other content to out jars), and we have a ticket in JIRA for this (for
me and with the direct support of Todd ... and others :-) ), for the
1.4. Some of this work has already be done, but not all :-) .
This is one of my task for next weeks. But after this someone (who ?)
at Apache will have to verify if jars are published well. And I
haven't understand on the jars I'll publish if they must be after a
public release or if I can start with our trunk ...
But these are my troubles ... just to speak.

Months ago I've done this trying to do a manual install of Pivot jars
in my local repository (using standard pivot jars, and maven
commands), and all worked.
Tell me if you need a sample project in attach (if I remember well
also with inside a txt with commands I used ... I've too little
memory, so any thing I do must be written, or I forget it :-) ) ...
and maybe I should have already attach it in JIRA.

Good work.

Byeeee,
Sandro

Re: Maven POMs uploaded to Jira

Posted by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandro

Thanks for following up on this. As long as there's a task in the
issue tracker, and the files are attached there, there's no hurry on
my end.

My basic goal is to make it easier for people who already have Maven
support in their editors to get started with Pivot right away. There's
no rush, other than achieving that general goal.

Cheers
Patrick

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,
thanks for your help and for submitting files ... we'll take a look at
them as soon as possible.
Last year I've done some experiment with pom files for Pivot, but
yours seems much (more) powerful, so thanks again for the moment.

Probably you know that fore the 1.4 release we are trying to publish
pivot jars also in main Maven repository, to simplify life in all
projects with Pivot and Maven. so .. stay tuned.

Bye,
Sandro