Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2016/03/08 15:22:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Planning for 0.9.0 Release

All -

I'd like to volunteer to be the release manager for the 0.9.0 release
unless someone else would like to take it instead.

In addition, I think that we need to scope the release and driving usecases
and a target date for the release.

We currently have ~25 JIRAs slated for 0.9.0 and most fall into one or more
of the following categories:

* dependency upgrades and related fixes
* proxying of UIs for Ambari and Ranger and related issues
* the hosting of web applications
* the addition of an application for a default KnoxSSO form based login
* PAM authentication provider - MISSING DOCs and TESTs
* various bug fixes and incremental improvements

It seems that around half of these are already set to fixed.

If there are additional issues that folks would like to get into the 0.9.0
release then we should discuss anything that would require a sizable change
and file JIRAs for them asap.

I believe that from the above categories that we can adjust the driving
usecases from the 0.8.0 release to reflect the shift of focus from external
applications to:

1. SSO participation by applications like Ranger and Ambari while being
proxied through the gateway.

2. Authentication natively done by Ranger and Ambari applications while
being proxied through Knox.

3. the usecase of a custom application like the Knoxplorer sample can now
be hosted by Knox and this needs to be covered and tested with KnoxSSO.

4. Default Knox authentication with form based application as KnoxSSO IDP.

5. any additional API support and various features and improvements.

It seems to me that we could start considering a 1.0 release. If this seems
like a reasonable time to do that then we should open up discussion for any
additional improvements or changes that we'd want to include in order to
make it our 1.0.

Given the above scope and driving usecases, I'd like to propose an end of
March release.

Thoughts?

thanks,

--larry

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning for 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Sumit Gupta <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Should be there now.

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumit Gupta <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Larry,

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
That isn't going to work actually.
I am going to need to put some thought into how to detect whether it needs
to be redirected in a filter that can be added by the Shiro provider.
I recall running into this earlier which is why I went with the login page
URL.

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
All -

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.