Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2009/09/28 11:02:17 UTC

Including artistic license 1.0 test data (email messages) in our releases

Hi all,

I wrote a DKIM library (email authentication) in Java for the James
project. Now I was expanding the test cases and found that the perl
library named "Mail-DKIM" includes a good corpus of signed messages
(http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-DKIM/). I'd like to add them "as is"
in our test/resources folder so that they can be processed by a java
tester class as part of the default tests.

The library itself claims the license is the same of Perl 5.8.6, so it
is the Artistic License 1.0:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0.php

>From my understanding there should be no harm in redistributing such
kind of "data" (they are email messages, mime messages, and not some
language code) in apache packages, but I didn't find a clear answer on
the website.

So:
1) Are we allowed to include them in our src/test/resources folder
(and in derivate distributed packages)?
2) If "yes": where am I supposed to write their "origin"/"license"?
(NOTICE/LICENSE/README? In the root of cvs or the src/test/resources
folder where I'll copy them?).

Stefano