Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/04/03 07:12:05 UTC

VOTE: hbase-0.95RC1, the second "Development" Series Release is available [WAS -> VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote]

Here is the second 0.95.0 release candidate.  Should we put this out as
0.95.0?  Please
vote by friday, April 5th.

See the refguide [1] for definition of what a "Development" Series Release
is (or read below where we call it a 'developer release").  In short, it is
a preview release, not for production, put out early so us devs start
getting feedback the sooner.

The release is available here:

  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.0RC1/

Issues fixed in this release are available here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12324094

...including a fix for HBASE-8242, the issue that sunk the first release
candidate.

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95RC1, the second "Development" Series Release is available [WAS -> VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote]

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I think Ram's JIRA should be HBASE-7962

FYI

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
One thing I don't understand is why there is noticeable difference in
performance between 0.95.0 and trunk.
I think their code should be very close to each other.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I think that sounds good.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Shipping the native libs is difficult anyway, because the artifacts will
depend on the particular architecture/OS that you compile on. (eg if you
compile on Ubuntu 12.04, it'll be useless on RHEL6 or vice versa).

If we want them to work out of the box, we'd need to cross-compile or
otherwise do the native lib compile on a number of different slaves and
collapse them back down into a single dist tarball.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
DEBUG is lower than INFO. Edit log4j.properties to set the loglevel for
org.apache.hadoop.hbase to INFO.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
<je...@spaggiari.org> wrote:
> Tests in progress...
>
> Lru is pretty verbose...

AFAIK it's always been like that, and it's worse when you have a small
block cache that you're banging on like in your case.

> jmspaggi@hbasetest:~/hbase/hbase-0.95.0-hadoop1$ cat
> logs/hbase-jmspaggi-master-hbasetest.log | wc
>   53518  938381 9515387
> jmspaggi@hbasetest:~/hbase/hbase-0.95.0-hadoop1$ cat
> logs/hbase-jmspaggi-master-hbasetest.log | grep LruBlockCache | wc
>   50163  902918 8760832
>
> Should we reduce the log level to INFO for it?

INFO is less verbose than DEBUG, so setting this to INFO would do the
opposite of what you want :)

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Tests in progress...

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
I was looking at the maven dependencies in
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/hbase/hbase/0.95.0-hadoop2-SNAPSHOT/hbase-0.95.0-hadoop2-20130402.025905-1.pom

I would expect (I may be wrong) that it's the one to be used when you build
a java application on top of HBase.

But this one will reference hadoop1 as the dependency, except if you
explicitly set the value.
For example, to build ycsb benchmark against hbase 0.95 and hadoop2 you
have to:
1) Change the ycsb pom to set the right dependencies (hbase-hadoop2)
2) Recompile it with mvn package -Dhadoop.profile=2.0

If you don't set hadoop.profile when building ycsb, it will try to use
hadoop1 and the build will fail.

Nicolas

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks lads.

Vote is closed.

Let me push out 0.95.0.

St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I see this too.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM, lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> wrote:

> Installed the -hadoop1 tarball, started HBase, inserted some data,
> flushed, compacted, scanned, inspected the UI pages, stopped it again.
> Checked the docs.
>

> CHANGES.txt is a bit weird as it does not contain the 0.94 issues from
> before it was branched, but that's just a nit.
>
> In the logs I see:
> 2013-04-05 22:18:03,805 WARN
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer:
>  error telling master we are up
> com.google.protobuf.ServiceException: methodName=regionServerStartup
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.ProtobufRpcClientEngine$Invoker.invoke(Pr
> otobufRpcClientEngine.java:147)
>         at sun.proxy.$Proxy8.regionServerStartup(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.reportForDuty(HRegionServer.java:1798)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:723)
> Caused by:
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.exceptions.ServerNotRunningYetException: org.

CHANGES.txt needs other work.  Currently includes all 0.95 issues but the
resolved and unresolved.  I'll fix this in 0.95.1 and the 0.94 list.   I've
seen the above exception too.. will fix that as well.

Thanks for taking a look.
St.Ack

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Installed the -hadoop1 tarball, started HBase, inserted some data, flushed, compacted, scanned, inspected the UI pages, stopped it again.
Checked the docs.

CHANGES.txt is a bit weird as it does not contain the 0.94 issues from before it was branched, but that's just a nit.

In the logs I see:
2013-04-05 22:18:03,805 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer:
 error telling master we are up
com.google.protobuf.ServiceException: methodName=regionServerStartup
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.ProtobufRpcClientEngine$Invoker.invoke(Pr
otobufRpcClientEngine.java:147)
        at sun.proxy.$Proxy8.regionServerStartup(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.reportForDuty(HRegionServer.java:1798)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:723)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.