Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net> on 2000/09/19 18:44:51 UTC

Re: More Info..... Install/set-up SOAP in a N-tier envi ronment

It all depends. For a very large Web-Farm you would use a scalable configuration
with 'auto-rollover' for reliability. A servlet container itself is not
transactional. J2EE Application Servers are. Servlets/JSPs are good for User
Interface Work but for Business Critical Processing (e.g. Data Base Access) IMHO
an AppServer  is required with its transactional attributes. In a real Web
Services B2B environment Soap would be used over an MQ or MSMQ  like transport
talking to an Application Server (We would not want to loose an order for a 747
would we?) A 'real' MQ Series Soap client would be programmatically notified by
its 'pear' soap-server-object when its request has made it into a
'transactionally safe' container.  PLEASE do not start now redesigning the
Apache Soap Implementation  to do load balancing, talk transactionally to EJBs
and try to do everything for everyone all the time. IMHO creating scalable and
reliable large scale systems is  in the J2EE architecture's realm and NOT Soaps.
That is why there is room for RMI (over IIOP) and CORBA protocols in addition to
Soap. To my biased engineer mind Soap is just a 'firewall' piercing protocol
(and currently the only good one) for fancy 'universal' ASCII data: called XML.
Regards - George