Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Markus Vaterlaus <mv...@mus.ch> on 2003/02/10 21:50:53 UTC

Content editor [was: Re: A note about the "best(?) (cocoon-) development environment" ...]

Hi there,

I'm just facing the same problem as you do. About 30 persons are
contributing to our documentation (a single document runs from 10 to
100 pages with about as much graphics in it). Actually all this is done
in MS Word. I have the Vision that in the near future all this content
will no longer be stored in a proprietary format. Instead of that it
will be stored in XML and cocoon will be a good helper to manage and
publish this content. However, for me the biggest problem actually is,
what kind of alternatives for an editor are existing? All users are
mentally bound to Word. They like it's functionality, it's ability to
write in WYSIWYG-mode et cetera. Actually I'm thinking about using
OpenOffice as an editor. Has anyone of you cocoonistas any experiences
or best practices on this behalf (and also on the interaction with
cocoon)?

--mv

Re: Content editor [was: Re: A note about the "best(?) (cocoon-) development environment" ...]

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Sorry, this mail shouldn't go to the list, but to Markus Vaterlaus.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hallo Markus,

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
Markus Vaterlaus wrote:

> I'm just facing the same problem as you do. About 30 persons are
> contributing to our documentation (a single document runs from 10 to
> 100 pages with about as much graphics in it). Actually all
> this is done
> in MS Word. I have the Vision that in the near future all
> this content
> will no longer be stored in a proprietary format. Instead of that it
> will be stored in XML and cocoon will be a good helper to manage and
> publish this content. However, for me the biggest problem
> actually is,
> what kind of alternatives for an editor are existing? All users are
> mentally bound to Word. They like it's functionality, it's ability to
> write in WYSIWYG-mode et cetera. Actually I'm thinking about using

If you can get your users to save their docs (from Word) in HTML format,
then Cocoon can read it with the HTMLGenerator. Perhaps a little VB macro
might help to automate the File/SaveAs/HTML operation, to ensure that Word's
proprietary format isn't used by mistake.

Cheers

Con