Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jon Drukman <jd...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/18 18:12:02 UTC

Better way to merge?

I have a simple project with one branch.  I want to bring changes from
the head into the branch's 'tools' directory.  So far the only way I've
found to do it is with this unwieldly set of commands:

cd $BRANCH_DIR/tools

svn log --stop-on-copy

(find the revision where the branch took place from this command.)

now run this:

svn merge -r2572:HEAD
http://svn.myproject.com/myproject/myframework/docroot/tools

is this seriously the only way to do it?  i could write a script but it
seems weird to me that such a clumsy procedure is necessary.  svn is
usually so elegant, otherwise.

-jsd-

Re: Better way to merge?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 19, 2008, at 1:45 AM, Roth, Pierre wrote:

>> I have a simple project with one branch.  I want to bring
>> changes from the head into the branch's 'tools' directory.
>> So far the only way I've found to do it is with this
>> unwieldly set of commands:
>>
>> cd $BRANCH_DIR/tools
>>
>> svn log --stop-on-copy
>>
>> (find the revision where the branch took place from this command.)
>>
>> now run this:
>>
>> svn merge -r2572:HEAD
>> http://svn.myproject.com/myproject/myframework/docroot/tools
>>
>> is this seriously the only way to do it?  i could write a
>> script but it seems weird to me that such a clumsy procedure
>> is necessary.  svn is usually so elegant, otherwise.
>
> If your svn version is <= 1.4.6, you can use svnmerge.py (or
> svnmerge.exe on Windows platforms) which is as elegant as you're
> used to
> with svn command line. (http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py)

And if you're using Subversion >= 1.5.0, then Subversion has support
for merge tracking built-in. It is documented here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html

RE: Better way to merge?

Posted by "Roth, Pierre" <pi...@covidien.com>.