Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Herrmann, Michael" <Mi...@softwareag.com> on 2001/04/17 16:00:43 UTC

Parameter Entity - not expanded

Hello,

I have the case that a parameter entity gets not expanded when reported
via the org.xml.sax.ext.DeclHandler interface. That's the relevant part of
the DTD:

	<!ENTITY % OrderSummary-Dtypes "w">
	<!ATTLIST OrderSummary  a-dtype CDATA #FIXED '%OrderSummary-Dtypes;'

OrderSummary-Dtypes gets not expanded. Does anyone know if there is a reason
why
the entity isn't expanded in this case? Or is this missing functionality?
I'am using xerces 1.3.0.

Thanks,
Michael Herrmann

Software AG

Re: Parameter Entity - not expanded

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
"Herrmann, Michael" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the case that a parameter entity gets not expanded when reported
> via the org.xml.sax.ext.DeclHandler interface. That's the relevant part of
> the DTD:
>
>         <!ENTITY % OrderSummary-Dtypes "w">
>         <!ATTLIST OrderSummary  a-dtype CDATA #FIXED '%OrderSummary-Dtypes;'
> >

> OrderSummary-Dtypes gets not expanded. Does anyone know if there is a reason
> why
> the entity isn't expanded in this case? Or is this missing functionality?
> I'am using xerces 1.3.0.

The parser is fine. You just have wrong expectations regarding this
piece of XML. PE refs are NOT recognized in attribute values. See the
XML spec at: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#entproc

This effectively means that what you think is a PErefs in your example
is actually not one.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group