Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/03 00:51:13 UTC

RFC convert documentation to Sphinx

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss using Sphinx (http://sphinx-doc.org) for the Mesos documentation.

Pros:
	- you can generate HTML docs, PDF, single-page HTML
	- you can generate man-pages for the user commands
	- there's more markup
	- supports indexing, cross-referencing and simple searching
	- you can your own markup for cross-referencing and formatting
	- it is easy to publish multiple version on readthedocs.org

Cons:
	- not sure how the website integration would work
	- there's more markup (more docs syntax to learn)

If there's interest (and a shepherd), then I'm willing to do the conversion.

cheers,
James

Re: RFC convert documentation to Sphinx

Posted by Alexander Rojas <al...@mesosphere.io>.
I would vote -1. There’s some cost associated with having to learn yet another documentation syntax, while almost all the tools we use easily support markdown. This feels a little like asking to use mercurial instead of git, sure it might be better at some stuff, but we will definitely find problems at some point, and honestly, when you check the amount of tools available, you have the feeling that md already won.

Posted by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com>.

Ok, I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-3598. I'll try to take a crack at a proof-of-concept next week.

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
+1 for Sphinx
(and RST - *way* better than MD :)

To do the autoconversion, I've used pandoc [0] in the past and (at least
for me) it worked just fine.

@James - if you do go ahead with the conversion, feel free to ping me for
helping out!

[0] http://pandoc.org/