Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org> on 2007/02/06 21:39:19 UTC

Tiles 2.0.0 Test Build Available

The test build of Tiles 2.0.0 has been tagged and is now available.

No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of Tiles
2.0.0 has been made, and at this time it is simply a "test build". We
welcome any comments you may have, and will take all feedback into
account if a quality vote is called for this build.

Release notes:

  *
https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=21781&styleName=Html&projectId=10160&Create=Create

         * http://people.apache.org/builds/tiles/

     Maven 2 staging repository:

         * http://people.apache.org/builds/tiles/m2-staging-repository/

We appreciate the time and effort everyone has put toward contributing
code and documentation, posting to the mailing lists, and logging issues.

Re: Tiles 2.0.0 Test Build Available

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2007/2/6, David H. DeWolf <dd...@apache.org>:
>> The test build of Tiles 2.0.0 has been tagged and is now available.
>>
>> No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of Tiles
>> 2.0.0 has been made, and at this time it is simply a "test build". We
>> welcome any comments you may have, and will take all feedback into
>> account if a quality vote is called for this build.
>
> Two notes:
> * http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-5 is still open, and it
> has the "fix for" tag pointing to the 2.0.0 version, is it ok?

Because the site is "released" separately, I think it is, but others may
not.  The only thing left for the issues is that I want to knock off if
finalizing the quickstart.  I plan to do that before the vote finishes
and bits get published.

> * Resolution http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-103 will
> change JSP tags names and XML elements substantially. If we release an
> alpha version, I think it is ok, though we will have some problems
> telling the alpha-version users to change their JSP and XML files
> completely (just a matter of a search-and-replace, I suppose).

IMHO that's one of the main reasons we'll stick at ALPHA. My guess is
that these aren't the only refactorings we'll want to do.  For me, alpha
basically means, "here our first attempt, tell us what you think but
don't get too attached".  I'll try to put some verbiage together for the
website to that extent - explaining that significant refactoring should
be expected in an alpha version (updated TILES-5).

> Thoughts?

One more thing I realized this morning.  We don't really have any
distributions :), we only have maven jars.  I'm personally ok with this
for 2.0.0 (let's create a zip of the published jars along with the
appropriate LICENSE files and call it done), but I have a feeling that
others may not be.  Thoughts?

David

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 2/6/07, David H. DeWolf <dd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The test build of Tiles 2.0.0 has been tagged and is now available.
>
> Can we rename the tag to tiles-2.0.0?  It must have defaulted to
> tiles-parent-2.0.0, which makes it sound like it's just the parent
> pom.  It confused me for a moment or two, at least...

That's exactly what I did, choose the default location. I've added a
note in the release plan for future reference to override it when prompted.

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/framework/tags/
>
>>      Maven 2 staging repository:
>>
>>          * http://people.apache.org/builds/tiles/m2-staging-repository/
>
> I fixed it on the wiki page; the intent with staging is to have a
> separate directory for each build.  Right after it gets deployed, it
> can be moved out of the way, for example into
> builds/tiles/2.0.0/m2-staging-repository.

Makes sense.  Is the idea behind that so people don't get used to using
it as a real repository?  I've added a note to the release plan for this
as well.

> This one is fine for now, no other releases are imminent. :)

:)

> ... and I'm still keeping an eye on Maven for the "real" release
> staging and repository merging stuff that we started talking about
> last Fall.

That would be very nice.  Thanks for taking a look!

Re: Tiles 2.0.0 Test Build Available

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy