Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/13 13:07:02 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] JAR files in Apache NetBeans 12.5 release

Neil, Matthias at all,

Let me present a different opinion. I understand the policy that
"compiled code should not be part of the relase (that is: sources that
are used to build the convenience binary).

I suppose the main philosophy behind objections against *compiled code*
is that it is an unknown (potentially) executable sequence that is
hard-to-modify would appear in 'open source' codebase. Or even if not
directly 'executable', the compiled code cannot be (easily) analysed,
inspected, edited. Which sounds rather as a nonsesne in an O/S
ecosystem; it's rational decision to avoid such black boxes in the
codebase. But the JARs which are presented as a big problem for the
release do not fit to that pattern.

With this approach - what should we do, if we had for example PDF or DXF
(autocad) as input for some of our tests ?

Note the wording "compiled code" above. But your effort seems as a fight
against ANY archives. For example, Matthias' list:

./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/**
./enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar

Please also note that all remaining pre-built binary files are
- tests
- archives
- readable AND writable (= modifiable) by standard CLI or desktop tools
- entries of the binaries have a well defined format and CAN be modified.

There are a NUMBER of counter-examples in other Apache projects that
have "compiled binaries" (ZIPs, JARs or even other binaries) in their
GITs. Just few examples:
- Apache Common Compress: tars (even containing .so !!), ZIPs, 7z
archives, ...
- Apache Tomcat: test resource JARs
- Apache Hadoop: test resources in JARs

As part of the crusade against archives, for example,
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3162/files#diff-e836c4a30a43c7356caff2498fad06d3346e406508a1c724e3ba6a308a03c680R90
replicates what Maven's jar packager does. Sort of. For example META-INF
is not generated (but luckily it's not tested either), which should be
part of any JAR archive.

Let me say that I am not in favour of such ad hoc code. If this is
really an issue (which I personally doubt), then the Harness or NBJUnit
library should be enhanced (just an idea) to process directories that
follow certain naming convention to create test data ZIPs or JARs: It's
IMHO more maintainable to have test data apart from the test code,
file-based and versioned separately.

Regards,
-Svata

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 18:54, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> so why did you not argue against the +0 vote and say, that we should
> change policy? I can live with that, but I get pissed of, when we redo
> the same discussions every time. In the PR the changes indeed make it
> harder to understand the tests, but I don't like uphill fights and ASF
> policy decisions are one of the worst.

How is this about ASF policy decisions?  We're compliant there.

For the record, I'm quite in favour of both not changing policy and
keeping what we have now.  But if there's a decision to change our
policy on these archives, that's for us, not forced by ASF rules.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] JAR files in Apache NetBeans 12.5 release

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Montag, dem 13.09.2021 um 15:07 +0200 schrieb Svata Dedic:

> Let me present a different opinion. I understand the policy that
> "compiled code should not be part of the relase (that is: sources that
> are used to build the convenience binary).

so why did you not argue against the +0 vote and say, that we should
change policy? I can live with that, but I get pissed of, when we redo
the same discussions every time. In the PR the changes indeed make it
harder to understand the tests, but I don't like uphill fights and ASF
policy decisions are one of the worst.

Pulling out test data out of the repository would IMHO also be an
error, because it also needs to match the netbeans version it is
intended for. We don't gain anything from such a split.

So we are back to square one.

Greetings

Matthias