Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aizer Danny-BDA023 <Da...@motorola.com> on 2007/03/12 19:44:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Default APR sizes of size_t and ssize_t when cross compiling

Hello,

I am cross-compiling Apache HTTPD 2.2.3 on a Red Hat Linux 9 (the build
machine) for a PowerPC 82xx embedded device. When I run the top-level
configure script which runs among others the APR configure script, I
notice that the sizeof size_t and ssize_t are being defaulted to "8"
because the $cross_compiling variable is set to "yes". The same
behaviour can be seen for other configure tests also: if the
$cross_compiling variable is set (it is being set in the beginning
because the BUILD and HOST options have been specified on the configure
command-line), then various ac_cv_* variables get some default values
(which in my case are not appropriate for the target HOST architecture
of ppc_82xx) instead of running the cross-compiler to calculate the
value.

Is this done on purpose? If so why? And how should I proceed if I want
the configure script to correctly "conftest" all the needed values for
my target HOST architecture? I've been searching in vain so far in FAQs,
bug databases and the goonet, but I found no one with a similar problem
(and a solution).

Thanks in advance,
/Danny

Re: [users@httpd] Default APR sizes of size_t and ssize_t when cross compiling

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Cross compilation generally won't work because of autoconf AP_RUN_
macros which test features dynamically.  dev@apr.apache.org is a good
list to discuss working around these limitations.

Posted by Aizer Danny-BDA023 <Da...@motorola.com>.
Hello,