Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/17 19:09:21 UTC

Using git

I saw the conversations fly by on dev@archiva and it got me thinking... how
difficult would this be for continuum and what is involved?

Brett do you know more about this or who an appropriate contact would be?

Do you know if this is a big undertaking or a fairly simple matter of
conversion?

Brent

Re: Using git

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
Louis,

Thank you for offering your feedback. My understanding so far was that we
were talking about the relevance and logistics of the different ideas. It
did not make sense to talk about schedule quite yet because it wasn't clear
we would want to do it. Also, I didn't think we were talking about making
major changes to the implementations necessarily.

The git migration is a source control-only change, it does not include
changing continuum's support for git. The talk about svnpubsub, the parent
pom and Apache CMS was in response to my query about what effects migrating
to read/write git would have on how we manage the rest of the project. It
should not affect functionality.

The source code reorganization would be about moving the code around to
redraw the module boundaries. While there might be functionality impacts
due to the scope of what would be changing, it would mostly be moving code
and not rewriting it (for now).

I think it makes sense to talk about release timing, but it probably makes
sense as a separate thread still.

Brent

Re: Using git

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using git

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Using git

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
That is encouraging. I am happy to do this myself if people find it
valuable. The project is already converted to git as you said. However, how
site publishing and the parent pom fit into this is not clear to me. Not
knowing the ins and outs of the Apache-specific processes like svn pubsub
and how and when parent poms are staged (just for example), it is not clear
what effect if any moving to git would have. I am more than happy to figure

Re: Using git

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.