Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/30 22:57:12 UTC

AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Do we have plans for AOO promotional t-shirts and other swag? Would
this need to go through an Apache store or can AOO do it?

I'm not looking at this as a way to raise money (which would need to
go to Apache, not AOO, anyway), but rather for promotion. People at
trade shows, developers' conferences, etc can wear tshirts; buttons
and other low-cost items could be given away at booths; tshirts could
be given away as prizes; people can have mugs and mousepads at work...
well, you know the drill. Could be sold on eg CafePress at cost.

--Jean

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, in fact "Friends of" made the offer to AOO long ago.
>>
>> My idea is to have both the opportunity for anyone to purchase TShirts
>> etc, and a fund to supply same for use at booths. Books, too, of course.
>>
>> Mainly what is needed is permission to use the AOO logo (and perhaps
>> variations such as "I [heart] [AOO logo]) and someone to do the work... Set
>> up a store, create products, etc.
>>

> We can move in this direction from within this PMC, with consultation from
> @trademarks. I'll be happy to help with that. Can you point me to the
> original offer thread you're referring to?

The first offer was made last August:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201108.mbox/%3C1313282659.3558.92.camel@jean-laptop15%3E

More recently (February), here are 2 notes I sent to the list.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201202.mbox/%3CCALaBZo7rXJWREj-fNp7htnmHxLmRzK2ptRkcN+PhhKK1q9Au+A@mail.gmail.com%3E

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201202.mbox/%3CB3AC8694-0DA7-41C0-AF9A-2F94CFBD38C2@gmail.com%3E

--Jean

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On 02/05/2012, at 1:32, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, in fact "Friends of" made the offer to AOO long ago.
>>
>> My idea is to have both the opportunity for anyone to purchase TShirts
>> etc, and a fund to supply same for use at booths. Books, too, of course.
>>
>> Mainly what is needed is permission to use the AOO logo (and perhaps
>> variations such as "I [heart] [AOO logo]) and someone to do the work... Set
>> up a store, create products, etc.
>>

> We can move in this direction from within this PMC, with consultation from
> @trademarks. I'll be happy to help with that. Can you point me to the
> original offer thread you're referring to?

It may be awhile before I have the time to attempt to find that thread, or even my own note on the topic in my sent mail, but I'll look when I can.

Jean

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
Ross, thank you for that pointer! --Jean

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Jean,

Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
This can be a tricky area to comment on, because it all depends on the
details - and especially the groups or individuals who are actually
putting Apache logos on their products (tshirts, buttons, whatever).
I'm presuming in this case that we have some folks who want to work on
this that we already know and trust, and that are happy to work with the
PPMC to get approvals for the plan(s).

- The first step is to get PPMC approval.  Fundamentally it's the PPMC
that should set the tone for such efforts, and should be happy with
what's being sold and where the profit is going.  This is much easier to
manage when the people doing the production or selling are already
working in, and well known by the community (like Jean and Juergen are
in this thread; these ideas sound great to me).

- Logos should be official ones from the project (someday, variations
both for print styles, as well as "powered by" or "I heart" would be
great), or should be approved for use otherwise.

- Items should be at cost, or else a portion of profits need to be
pledged to the ASF.  The existing vendors on our buy_stuff.html page
each have agreed to send part or all of the profits to the ASF.  I
believe some have simply set their CafePress accounts to simply send the
quarterly checks to the ASF, making it easy.  (Although I love the idea
of working with another vendor for better prices; preprinting in bulk is
far cheaper if someone can volunteer to manage the stock)

Note that Apache in general does not fund these activities.  Pending
approval, we're happy in general to have community members do this kind
of thing.  In some cases (like Friends of... and I think potentially
other OOo-related groups where we know the people), it's also allowable
for outside people to organize this kind of thing.

- Shane