Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Moisei <mo...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/08 15:14:43 UTC

Does Subversion enable compression automatically under Apache

Hello, I just wondering whether this mail has arrived to the list?
Thanks
Moisei.

Posted by anton <an...@nezzwerk.com>.
Moisei wrote:
> Hello, I just wondering whether this mail has arrived to the list?
> Thanks
> Moisei.

you have to configure it yourself, please see documentation for
mod_deflate on httpd.apache.org

-anton

Fwd: Does Subversion enable compression automatically under Apache

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@gmail.com>.
I meant to send this to the list.

Posted by Moisei <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Moisei <mo...@gmail.com>.
Aha, now we come closer to my problem :) Thanks.
> > checkouts and commits, Subversion sends all file data as binary diffs,
> > which are essentially already compressed.
That was exactly the question I've asked!  Is it confirmed? Is it right for the
case  of "checkout" -- when the delta is just a file itself?
In this case, there is no reason to use mod_deflate at all.

Here is my story, if somebody interested:
After 1 year's pilot we plan to switch from sourcesafe to subversion
on one of our
main code-base branches.
Subversion 1.1.3 runs on dedicated Xeon server witn 2 Gb RAM under
Windows 2000 server + apache 2.052
I imported the vss data into subversion repo - BDB backend and now I have
~13000 revisions. The repo size is about 500 MB.
The working copy size is 456 MB and it contains 110,000 files
and  21,000 folders -- all this include .svn folders.
Most of our developers are working in "house" office but few are
connecting from outside,
this is why I am interested to make their access as efficient as possible
Take into account the propaganda as well -- developers hate to change
their daily
workflow and subversion requires they change their mind in a very
stressful manner.
99% our code-base is C++ files.

Thanks a lot again to all of you for your replies,
such kind of support is so amazingly different from the one we have on
sourcesafe :)

Best Regards,
Moisei.

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de>.
* Ben Collins-Sussman:

> 90% of of the data travelling over the network is file data.  For
> checkouts and commits, Subversion sends all file data as binary diffs,
> which are essentially already compressed.  So turning on mod_deflate
> isn't likely to decrease the amount of network traffic at all.

Last time I looked at network traffic, the deltas were base64-encoded.
Has this been changed, or were I just imaging things?

Re: Does Subversion enable compression automatically under Apache

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Moisei wrote:

> Thank you, Mark.
> I do my homework before I post to the list, so indeed I enabled and
> configured
> the mod_deflate with large memory buffer size and high compression
> level.
> Surprisingly, it takes the exactly same time to checkout quite large
> code-base.
> This is why I've asked whether it is already compressed, I just cannot
> find any
> another explanation.

90% of of the data travelling over the network is file data.  For
checkouts and commits, Subversion sends all file data as binary diffs,
which are essentially already compressed.  So turning on mod_deflate
isn't likely to decrease the amount of network traffic at all.

If anything, might *increase* the total time, because now there's
double (redundant) compression going on, which takes both client and
server CPU even more.

Re: Does Subversion enable compression automatically under Apache

Posted by Moisei <mo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Mark.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.