Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2012/03/20 01:57:02 UTC

First pass pruning 3.6 Jira's to ramp up for release

Since there has been interest expressed in the last few weeks in ramping
up to a 3.6 release, I suggest we adopt a similar process to the one we've
used in the past, and start pruning the "Fix Version: 3.6" from issues
that seem like they aren't on anyones radar, or don't seem crucial enough
to block a 3.6 release.

Currently in jira, there are 288 Unresolved issues in LUCENE + SOLR marked
"Fix Version: 3.6".  Of those, there are (currently) 158 that:
   a) Are not assigned
   b) Have not been updated since March 1, 2012
   c) are not bugs (ie: improvements or feature requests)

I propose that we start by removing "3.6" from the fix version from any
bug matching "The Query" below, and then move on to assess whatever
issues are still left in the 3.6 bucket -- working on those that we can,
and eventually doing a second round of cuts to remove anything that has no
assignee (regardless of type & date)

I volunteer to do the first bulk "fix!=3.6" pruning against "The Query" in
a few days (wed or thurs) if no one objects in the meantime.

If there is an issue on this list someone feels strongly about, all you
have to do to keep it from getting pruned (for now) is to assign it to
yourself or chime in with a comment/patch explainging why you think it's
important to include it in 3.6 -- but don't volunteer unless you plan on
following through in the very near future.  this is just the first pass,
i'm sure there will be others (rmuir is just itching to cut a release, we
have a psychic connection that i can feel in my bones).

Likewise this would a god time for all of the committers/contributors to
review the list of 3.6 issues currently assigned to you, and self-prune
any issue that isn't something you intend to finish in the very near
future (either by removing yourself as the assignee if you think it should
go in 3.6 but don't have time to work on it; or by removing 3.6 if you
still plan on working on it but don't think it will be ready soon).

Checking your list of bugs is easy, using the "individual query" listed
below.

"The Query"
(unresolved, fix=3.6, no assignee, updatedDate < march & not bug)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+%28SOLR%2C+LUCENE%29+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.6%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+AND+updatedDate+%3C+2012-03-01+AND+issuetype+!%3D+Bug

"individual query"
(unresolved, fix=3.6, assignee = current user)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+%28SOLR%2C+LUCENE%29+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.6%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+%3D+currentUser%28%29

-Hoss

RE: First pass pruning 3.6 Jira's to ramp up for release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
+1, I will review my issues...

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> Unless I hear objections, i think that ~48 hours from now we should bite
> the bullet and prune any unassigned issue (regardless of type) that hasn't
> been updated since March 19 (ie: actively being discussed
> this week)...

+1

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: First pass pruning 3.6 Jira's to ramp up for release

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Unless I hear objections, i think that ~48 hours from now we should bite
: the bullet and prune any unassigned issue (regardless of type) that hasn't
: been updated since March 19 (ie: actively being discussed
: this week)...
: ...that will get us to the point where almost all of the outstanding 3.6
: issues are assigned to someone, and we can start harping on people
: individually "where are you with this issue?"

I forgot to mention: unless i get sucked into something else, after i do
this, i'll try to review any unassigned issue and assign it to which ever
committer seems to be the most involved in the discussion, or if no
committer has been invovled, then whichever one i think is the subject
matter expert, so that someone well-informed can be in the hot-seat to
decide if it really needs to go into 3.6 or not.

: If you are logged into Jira you can see the 3.6 issues assigned to you
: here...
:

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Unless I hear objections, i think that ~48 hours from now we should bite
: the bullet and prune any unassigned issue (regardless of type) that hasn't
: been updated since March 19 (ie: actively being discussed
: this week)...
:
: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+%28SOLR%2C+LUCENE%29+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.6%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+AND+updatedDate+%3C+2012-03-19

Done.

I've also assigned the remaining unassigned 3.6 issues to a committer --
most of them were *opened* by a committer, so i gave it to them ... i
think there were only 2 issues not opend by committers, and i assigned
them to whichever committer was most actively commenting.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I volunteer to do the first bulk "fix!=3.6" pruning against "The Query" in a
: few days (wed or thurs) if no one objects in the meantime.

: "The Query"
: (unresolved, fix=3.6, no assignee, updatedDate < march & not bug)
: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+%28SOLR%2C+LUCENE%29+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.6%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+AND+updatedDate+%3C+2012-03-01+AND+issuetype+!%3D+Bug

I've moved forward on this, bulk editing the (156) issues currently
matching that criteria to remove the 3.6 fix version (and suppressing emial
notification to reduce noise)

You can identify all the issues modified by this bulk edit by searching
jira comments for "hoss20120321nofix36"

(note: aparently jira doesn't have a way to just remove a fix version - i
could have sworn it did - so i had to just replace the fix version for
these issues with "4.0")

Next up: prune, Prune, PRUNE!!!!

Unless I hear objections, i think that ~48 hours from now we should bite
the bullet and prune any unassigned issue (regardless of type) that hasn't
been updated since March 19 (ie: actively being discussed
this week)...

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+%28SOLR%2C+LUCENE%29+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.6%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+AND+updatedDate+%3C+2012-03-19

...that will get us to the point where almost all of the outstanding 3.6
issues are assigned to someone, and we can start harping on people
individually "where are you with this issue?"

As a reminder, here are the folks who currently have open 3.6 issues
assigned to them...

1  Adriano Crestani
1  Andrzej Bialecki
2  David Smiley
1  Doron Cohen
1  Erik Hatcher
1  Grant Ingersoll
2  Hoss Man
1  James Dyer
3  Jan Høydahl
1  Koji Sekiguchi
11 Mark Miller
17 Noble Paul
4 Shalin Shekhar Mangar
3 Simon Willnauer
2 Stanislaw Osinski
2 Tommaso Teofili
3 Uwe Schindler

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> this is just the first pass, i'm sure
> there will be others (rmuir is just itching to cut a release, we have a
> psychic connection that i can feel in my bones).

Not just psychic, also the fact exactly 2 weeks ago to this hour I
sent an email saying "Can we get any pending issues for 3.6 resolved
in the next two weeks?"

http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/e8a08b270ee3054e#e8a08b270ee3054e

--
lucidimagination.com