Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pieter Temmerman <pt...@sadiel.es> on 2009/02/13 10:13:28 UTC

Recommendation # webapps

Hi list,

I realize my question may be very dependent on the environment,
requirements and scope, but I was wondering if you guys recommend the
use one Tomcat instance per webapp (on the same server), or rather
several webapps in one Tomcat?

Note that I'm talking about applications in production, not in
development.

The most logical answer would be; Use one Tomcat per webapp, whenever
possible. However, the administration overhead is so much bigger than
using a single Tomcat.

What are your experiences?

-Pieter

Re: Recommendation # webapps

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
Pieter Temmerman wrote:
> The most logical answer would be; Use one Tomcat per webapp, whenever
> possible. However, the administration overhead is so much bigger than
> using a single Tomcat.

And how if each webapp uses a specificity of a special version of Tomcat?
If that usecase is not possible, then "one Tomcat for all" would be my
answer.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

RE: Recommendation # webapps

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pieter Temmerman [mailto:ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es]
> Subject: Recommendation # webapps
>
> The most logical answer would be; Use one Tomcat per webapp, whenever
> possible. However, the administration overhead is so much bigger than
> using a single Tomcat.

Not just administration overhead, but also that of physical resources - primarily memory.  There's a lot of virtual and real memory consumption by each process, so how much RAM you have is often the limiting factor.  You really don't want to get into paging in a production environment.

 - Chuck