Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2013/06/22 00:46:31 UTC

30% random performance in 0.95+

Is anybody ware of what set of changes would be responsible for giving 0.95+ a 30% boost in random read performance over 0.94?

Thanks.

-- Lars

Re: 30% random performance in 0.95+

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
If we can't rely on PE, then why do we keep it? ;)

I think that even if it loads the local hard drive, we can still
compare the 2 results because it does the same thing against the 2
versions. So if one version uses more the hard drive than another one,
then even with 12 drives and 100 nodes, it will still use more the
hard drive than the previous version. Goal here is really to compare 2
versions together, and not the performances.

Now, to make sure that I can run comparisons as good as possible, what
is the minimum hardware requirement? Are 3 dedicated servers enought?
(1RS+MS and 2RS) Or should I really go with 1 master + 3RS as a
minimum to have relevant results? I want to build something we will be
able to rely.

JM

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Yep.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: 30% random performance in 0.95+

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: 30% random performance in 0.95+

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Thanks JM,

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Sorry folks,

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

________________________________
Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Thanks JM!

________________________________

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hey, a dichotomic search.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Yep, I will start that tonight or tomorrow morning when 8755 will be
done. Since it will take at least 5 days I will most probably order a
new server in the meantime to not block the other performances
investigations ;)

So don't expect results before wednesday....

Another option is to run tests every 50 commits to reduce the number
of tests and get an idea faster, but the range will be bigger so will
be harder to spot the modification which improved the read.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
That's what I am thinking.

--
Best regards,