Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Weedy <we...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/20 07:36:10 UTC

mod_fcgid: process PID graceful kill fail, sending SIGKILL

For the life of me I can't seem to find a way to make mod_fcgid wait
longer. I don't mean FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess or
FcgidProcessLifeTime. I mean what controls the time between the signal
-2/-11/-15/whatever and the -9.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: mod_fcgid: process PID graceful kill fail, sending SIGKILL

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Weedy <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can the SIGTERM be logged? Just to see how long it takes?

The patches attached add extra logging to the error scan.

1. report_graceful_terminations.txt

It logs the number of processes receiving SIGTERM every time the error
scan runs, as long as there is at least one process.  This could
probably be committed permanently.

It requires LogLevel debug.

2. noisily_report_graceful_terminations.txt

This logs the pid of every process that is sent SIGTERM.  It is too
noisy to be committed permanently.

It requires LogLevel debug.

Re: mod_fcgid: process PID graceful kill fail, sending SIGKILL

Posted by Weedy <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Weedy <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the life of me I can't seem to find a way to make mod_fcgid wait
> longer. I don't mean FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess or
> FcgidProcessLifeTime. I mean what controls the time between the signal
> -2/-11/-15/whatever and the -9.
> Any help would be appreciated.

During steady state:

FcgidErrorScanInterval controls normal termination of idle/extra
processes.  The directive controls the time between scans of the error
list, and during one scan it can send SIGTERM and during the next
scan, if it hasn't exited yet, it can send SIGKILL.

Keeping zombies cleaned up requires a small scan interval, but that
can keep some scripts from having adequate time to terminate before
getting KILL-ed.

At shutdown:

1 second hard-coded sleep between graceful kill and SIGKILL

--/--

Does this match what you are seeing?