Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nadja Senoucci <se...@21st.de> on 2003/06/02 09:20:30 UTC

A few questions about and tags

Hello,

I have a few question about those tags.

1) How can I preselect a value in a dropdown? Meaning: I already have a
value (one that was selected before) and I want that to be selected when the
form gets displayed.

2) I want to have one dropdown that changes another one when something gets
selected. I know, you have to use JavaScript for that and use the onChange
event. But can I still use struts for that? I have the different options in
different Java Collections. How would I go about that?

3) My collections (with the different options) are kind of archives holding
objects of a certain type. Now I want a default value in the dropdown like
'Please choose one of the following...' or something like that. Can I have
that without putting it into my collection?

I would be very grateful about any information...

Greetings,
Nadja

Re: A few questions about and tags

Posted by Nadja Senoucci <se...@21st.de>.
Thanks for the info! I am currently trying those things out when I can't get
it running I'll let you know. ;)

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.

> Hello,
>
> I have a few question about those tags.
>
> 1) How can I preselect a value in a dropdown? Meaning: I already have a
> value (one that was selected before) and I want that to be selected when the
> form gets displayed.

if your formbean has a property "foo", using :

will display a select list with item selected from property value.

> 2) I want to have one dropdown that changes another one when something gets
> selected. I know, you have to use JavaScript for that and use the onChange
> event. But can I still use struts for that? I have the different options in
> different Java Collections. How would I go about that?

You will have to use javascript for that. You can use struts iterate tags to build javascript code from your datas
collections :

<script type="text/javascript">
    <bean:size id="size" name="myCollection"/>
    var datas = new Array[<bean:write name="size"/>];
    <logic:iterate id="item" name="myCollection" indexId="index"/>
        datas[<bean:write name="index"/>] = "<bean:write name="item"/>";
    </logic:iterate>
</script>

> 3) My collections (with the different options) are kind of archives holding
> objects of a certain type. Now I want a default value in the dropdown like
> 'Please choose one of the following...' or something like that. Can I have
> that without putting it into my collection?

You can use this :

    <option value="nothing has been selected!">Please choose one ...</option>

If foo is null or no html:option value is same, first item in list will be displayed by many browsers as 'current'.

Nico.