Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2008/02/09 16:16:43 UTC

site target and Standard Output

Hi all,

we have currently a process running that will generate around a million
static html pages (hopefully within the end of this weekend). This
process is running on 4 different machines in parallel.

2 machines have Red Hat the other 2 debian woody. We need to invoke the
command triggering the generation via ssh shell meaning we need to start
it in background (with & on the end of the command) to secure the import
keeps running when we loose the connection.

The script import.sh just contains ant calls like:
ant boja.main -Dbulletin=1_02.01.2005 > log/1_02.01.2005.log
ant boja.main -Dbulletin=2_03.01.2005 > log/2_03.01.2005.log

and I execute it like
sh import.sh > log/import.log 2>&1 &

The boja.main target will invoke forrest after doing some preprocessing
to generate the static html (with <ant-call/>). After deploying all
plugins the last thing I can see while tail -f log/1_02.01.2005.log is
"Cocoon will report the status of each document:
  - in column 1: *=okay X=brokenLink ^=pageSkipped (see FAQ).

cocoon 2.2.0-dev
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
Build: December 8 2005 (TargetVM=1.4, SourceVM=1.4, Debug=on,
Optimize=on)
"

Then the process hangs on the 2 debian boxes and just today as well on
one of the red hat boxes (where it was working fine before).

We think it could be related with the standard output/error of the
boxes. Regarding http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/unix/upt/ch45_21.htm we
should have done everything right but not sure.

We have physical access to one of the boxes and starting
sh import.sh > log/import.log
on the command line of the server is working fine.

If you do forrest on a project you may noticed a short break after
"Cocoon will report the status of each document:
  - in column 1: *=okay X=brokenLink ^=pageSkipped (see FAQ)."
IMO that is caused the <sequential>/<parallel> constructs around line
64/174 of site.xml [1]

<sequential>/<parallel> is this changing somehow the interaction with
stdout? Does somebody has an idea why the command hangs when started in
background?
sh import.sh > log/import.log 2>&1 &

Any thoughts are very welcome.

salu2