Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charles Li <cl...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/15 21:25:33 UTC

[users@httpd] MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers & StartServers

Hi,
I have read the document of the above parameters.
My understanding from the reading is that every time
the MinSpareServers (MNSS) falls below 5, the default
value, Apache will create enough server to satify the
MNSS value.  Since the default StartServers (SS) is 5,
when the first request comes in, Apache will have to
start and create another server to replace the server
that is serving the first request.  My question is:
should I set the SS to be greater than the MNSS, so
the above scenario would be reduced.

Another question, when the server is serving a
request, it normally passes the request to the other
modules to process the request, ie, oc4j, perl or php
modules, is this server immediately free to process
another request?  Or does it wait for the same request
to come back?

Thanks,
Charles Li

Re: [users@httpd] MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers & StartServers

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:25:33 -0800 (PST), Charles Li <cl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read the document of the above parameters.
> My understanding from the reading is that every time
> the MinSpareServers (MNSS) falls below 5, the default
> value, Apache will create enough server to satify the
> MNSS value.  Since the default StartServers (SS) is 5,
> when the first request comes in, Apache will have to
> start and create another server to replace the server
> that is serving the first request.  My question is:
> should I set the SS to be greater than the MNSS, so
> the above scenario would be reduced.

If you'd like, you can set StartServers to anywhere between
MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers.  But you'll probably find that,
as long as you keep these numbers reasonable, you won't notice any
effect on apache performance.

> Another question, when the server is serving a
> request, it normally passes the request to the other
> modules to process the request, ie, oc4j, perl or php
> modules, is this server immediately free to process
> another request?  Or does it wait for the same request
> to come back?

It waits.  In fact, for many modules, the module processing happens in
the same process, so there is no free process anyway.  But in any
case, apache does not have an event-driven architecture, so it must
dedicate a process to each request until the request is done.

Joshua.