Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2012/10/23 15:50:52 UTC

HTTP Status messages

Hey folks,

yesterday we had a chat in #traffic-server which I'm throwing on
the wall here so we don't forget about it.

Our default way of notifying end-users of an HTTP Status is built
into the server in `HttpMessageBody::MakeErrorBodyVA`
That isn't pretty, but it's probably fast.

The other way of doing this is `HttpBodyFactory`.

Aside from the macabre naming: Should we enable
proxy.config.body_factory.enable_customizations by default?
Coupled with caching these documents on startup would perhaps
give us the same speed as embedding HTML in C++…

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: HTTP Status messages

Posted by James Peach <ja...@me.com>.
On Oct 23, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> yesterday we had a chat in #traffic-server which I'm throwing on
> the wall here so we don't forget about it.
>
> Our default way of notifying end-users of an HTTP Status is built
> into the server in `HttpMessageBody::MakeErrorBodyVA`
> That isn't pretty, but it's probably fast.
>
> The other way of doing this is `HttpBodyFactory`.
>
> Aside from the macabre naming: Should we enable
> proxy.config.body_factory.enable_customizations by default?
> Coupled with caching these documents on startup would perhaps
> give us the same speed as embedding HTML in C++…

I'm +1 on this. Unless there's a really good reason, one mechanism is better than two.

Re: HTTP Status messages

Posted by Nick Berry <ni...@linkedin.com>.
+1 for body factory!

HttpMessageBody::MakeErrorBodyVA output is confusing to users/admins, based on an old MSIE error page and requires recompile to be customized.